Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Captain Beefheart is safe as milk, flowing saws in a can and bananas are melting in the SUN!!

Oh my God!!! He was young once...no no no he was just short.
Heat Wave!!!

set the controls for the heart of the sun
avoid being blistered by the sun
don't forget
sea, sex and sun!!!
***

Captain Beefheart: Safe as Milk (1967) ***1/2
For years, I've had a lousy re-issue bastard called Captain Beefheart at His Best (1989), which deservedly received a slam from
The Captain Beefheart Radar Station.
Lousy sound!!
Lousy mix and they dropped..."Dropout Boogie"!!!

The bastards!!!!

Praise the good Captain, the situation has been rectified and I am now in possession of a proper release of Safe as Milk...with bonus tracks!!!

Listening to early Cap is different...

unique...
straight r & b
NOT straight r & b...
brilliance
still o d d
more...traditional?

a young Captain?????????
with overt influences????????????????


Fav songs
:
Electricity - breaks away from tradition and creates it's own
Yellow Brick Road - always found this really catchy...I've always wanted to go to OZ.
Call On Me - moves me...
Plastic Factory - hard rockin' precursor to "Hard Workin' Man"


Is this the place for a neophyte Beefheartian to start?
I started with Unconditionally Guaranteed (1974) in high school...liked it...didn't think it was that weird...
next got Trout Mask Replica (1969) and umm...

You could say that I thought it was weird...
I knew it was fucked!
I knew, I knew...it was worth working through...
not all classics are EASY.

So my answer would be ---- start with Clear Spot (1972) --- a little bit of everything, then go fishing for trouts!!!
***

Can: Flow Motion (1976) **1/2 Saw Delight (1977) ***
What to make of latter Can?
No Damo...No Malcolm...
I haven't listened to these that much...but from what I have, it's --- enjoyable.
Doesn't hit the peaks of days past.
Lower expectations, and let it silently
...wash over you.


Conclusion - inconclusion = pleasant if you're a fan...but start with Damo or Malcolm!!
[aside: I should add Soon Over Babaluma (1974) and Landed (1975) are pretty great, and are the first ones without Damo.]
***
now her arm is melting...and gooey...and getting longer and longer...oh my god!!
Melt Banana: Cell-Scape (2003)
crazy crazy crazy
I LOVE IT!
Closer to The Boredoms than Acid Mothers Temple
(And that can mean whatever you want it to mean!!!!).

This is my first Melt Banana and this is a group definitely to be explored.

after a ridiculous amount of sweat, they end the album with a 10 minute journey to the stratosphere.

chaos
then...peacestorm
***

Random Ramblings

What was the music you heard growing up? For me, my Dad was into jazz - mainly big band - lots of lps
[aside: including the classic Herb Alpert: "Whipped Cream" lp with that delicious cover!].
I love a LOT of jazz (Miles and Coltrane would be top 10 artists of all-time for me), but still can't get into big band shit...


With all the shit going on in the world today...where the fuck are today's punks???

Pere Ubu...
The first album I had of Ubu was Worlds in Collision (1991) which, you know...is good, catchy and a few songs are even great, BUT...it's not early Ubu.
Fortunately, Randy supplied a couple of early Pere Ubu albums, (as well as Rocket from the Tombs)
I have no idea why the fuck I never got into these guys in the late 70s...
Why does that happen?
You miss a band you really shouldn't have. [aside: I blame the booze!]
Hey, who cares? Just enjoy it today...I'm currently grooving to The Modern Dance (1978).

Betty Davis is funky as shit...check her out...


Do you know who wrote / performed the 3rd song referenced in my opening salvo?
I know the first 2 were easy...but didja get the last one?
Answers: Pink Floyd, Violent Femmes...Serge Gainsbourg.
***

3 comments:

steven edward streight said...

The Modern Dance by Pere Ubu is the only album that ever frightened the crap out of me by its weird atmosphere and tone, and that uncanny singing voice.

I posted a Pere Ubu YouTube video a few weeks back.

Dub Housing is another good album by Pere Ubu (father poop, a Dada concoction with Hugo Ball et al).

Harvey Dog said...

Pere Ubu are great! The fact they frightened you shows how powerful they were. I wish I was more into them back in the late 70s...I'm frightened just thinking about it!

You're giving me an idea for a future post...What bands / musicians have frightened you. Could be an interesting topic...Diamanda Galas sorta frightens me to this day. That's a compliment.

You are finding some awesome videos on YouTube! The internet is awesome.

I have "Dub Housing" and it's a classic.

steven edward streight said...

Thank you Mr. Harvey Doggy. You aren't so dodgy after all, nor daft. But I must WARN you today...

WARNING: ResonanceFM Comedy Podcasts is my favorite music station now.

WARNING: The Exciting Hellebore Shew has some tastey episodes, "Unlistenable Special", "Overdose Pie", and "Strange music and post-boring stories" and "Robot Shew" are astonishingly up our alley both musically and radio theatrically.

WARNING: Dan Wilson is a genius, of Meadow House aka The Exciting Hellebore Show.

the Brit blend of humor (Monty Python) and Dead Punk Nihilism (Negativeland, Black Noise Records, The Homosexuals, Fear Merchants, Amos & Sarah, Vic Serf & the Villains, It's War Boys, Recommended Records, Henry Cow, The Work, etc.) is totally funny and musically bizarre, a noisey junk slop aesthetic that is somehow addictive and not "just crappy BS" though some may think so.

Harmon e. Phraisyar is seemingly L. Voag of The Way Out an album or band by The Homosexuals of London, the parody art rock noise electro junk band, the only series gang to pose a threat to Gong and The Fugs probably.

Harmon may be L. Voag or PT Delka who was my penpal for a summer in 1980 or so. I was too high on lambs breath to recall it now. His letters were typed in red ink, I do recall that. Their homey addy was penned on a slip of paper tucked into The Way Out by L. Voag (of The Homosexuals and It's War Boys and maybe current totally obscure experiment band Die Trip Computer Die) album I purchased at Wax Trax in Chicago, Illinois USA.

Go to Resonance FM today, after Vacation. Also be sure, it's all FREE mp3 CD burnable dls, to check out "Speakers 3: Space". Very funny. This is 15:00, most others are about 29:00.