Monday, October 12, 2009

Thin Lizzy & Springsteen not particularly liked, Oh What a Feeling discussed, Teenage Head on youtube!!!

Question: Why don't I like???

a) Thin Lizzy more? I'm listening to "Vagabonds" disc 3 right now, and it's good..."Parissiene Walkways" is fantastic - what's on right now...really good...but, there's something about his voice that just doesn't quite do it for me. I mean, I love non-singers...singers with no range...fuck, I'm one myself! It's like with...

b) Bruce Springsteen. No matter how much I've tried (and I've tried too hard) I just don't get it. I don't get all the hype...

I don't get all the praise...

I don't get it at all...I mean there are some songs of his I really really like, but when it comes to albums they leave me feeling cold. The River (1980) is probably my fav...I guess...Like Phil Lynott someone I can't get past the voice.

c) I would give the nod to Thin Lizzy actually.
#####################

OK...I was going to edit the above, but fuck it.
Let it stand shouted the editor across the room buzzing flies lingering over shit looking for an edible...

let's move on to today...

driving to Masset and back, listening to Oh, What a Feeling! A Vital Collection of Canadian Music (1996)
4 cds of canadiana and
i'm a proud canadian!!

of course, i recognize pretty much everything and it looked good at a glance
BUT
after listening to the first disc and a half
my verdict is: disappointment

I was all ready to travail in nostalgia, and for the first bit,
yeh
it was pretty good...a nice mixture of classics with cool one-hit wonders ("Roxy Roller"), but by the second disc...
well...i mean
Loverboy, Bryan Adams then Corey Hart????
That stuff sounded like shit back in the day to me, and...it still does! No revision for any of these guys! The Payola$ sounded pretty great coming after this unholy trifecta!

Then Honeymoon Suite came on with their 1 crappy hit, and I said to the Guru: "What's next? Glass Tiger?", and sure enough --- here came Glass Tiger with their slightly better lameass hit. We finished with Maestro Fresh Wes letting his backbone slide, and that was alright...looking at the songlist, it looks like disc 3 is "not bad", but disc 4 looks downright abysmal!!
[aside: hey, did I ever tell about the time JK and I were almost in fights with Honeymoon Suite and Glass Tiger! Of course, on different nights. We might have been drunk...]

They should have gone back farther (pre-1968) and taken in all types of music - not just based on AM plays or sales...where's early Paul Anka? That happy Polish polka dude who's won 76 junos? No punk? No Canadian jazz? Is there absolutely no quality avante-garde, experimental shit from Canada? I'm listening to Harmonium's 1 st album from 1974, and it's sounding pretty beautiful to these ears and they're nowhere to be found, either.

Hahahaha...I just gave it 2 1/2 ** on Rate Your Music and it dropped it's rating from 4.11 to under 4 (3.97)...hahahahaha...the power of the internet!!
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Here's another band that didn't make it on to Oh What a Feeling! Teenage Head doing a great song: "Infected" in 1982. I saw Teenage Head tons of times growing up, and they were always great. thanks bobzmyuncle!

****************************

No comments: