Monday, June 05, 2006

Flaming Punks on Acid, Red Krayola Rule, Embryos and Sun Ras are cool!

Flaming Lips 1989 nicely drugged out..sigh...
The Flaming Lips: Finally the Punk Rockers are Taking Acid 1983-1988 (2002) ****1/2
I got a great fucking deal on this 3 cd set. $30 at a used cd store place in Mississauga, Ontario. This was my first "real" introduction (I had heard "She Don't Use Jelly" when it was a college hit) to the band, and remains to this day, my fav Lips album.

The early music has more raw energy, compared to the great, but VERY precise later albums. I really really really like Yoshimi and maybe the new one ("At War with the Mystics") will make me a believer ...BUT....

I cannot lie. I like the early
punky fun
crazy
d r u g
induced lyrics
one million billion
brain cells
swirling in a
vat of acid
spewed out like only you can when you're young, dumb, and full of acid fried goodness.

I love shit like "Jesus Shooting Heroin", "One Million Billionth of a Millisecond on a Sunday Morning" and the Alice Cooper "Levity Ball" influenced "The Ceiling is Bending". You just can't hear those riffs often enough!

I really should get the "Fearless Freaks" documentary on the Lips. They are definitely worthy of more investigation.
Flaming Lips official web site.
***

I am thoroughly enjoying Red Krayola's "Introduction", and the deconstruction of "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" called (appropriately) "Breakout" is fantastic. Ya gotta love the older guys who are still interested in "creativity". There is so much to enjoy in this album, that different bits leap out on every listen. Highly recommended.
***

EmbryoNNCK: No-Neck Blues Band and Embryo (2006) Don't expect the blues, but expect an album of primitive beauty with music floating in and out of the ear
voices come
voices go
peace approaches
and this is an excellent new album by early krautrock pioneers Embryo and The No-Neck Blues Band (the NNCK part of the name) who sound incredible. I will be looking into NNCK in the future.
***

Sun Ra: Space is the Place (1972) ***** This album is one hell of a motherfucker. This was the first Sun Ra that I completely fell in love with.
Sun Ra strikes a pose.
Space
is the
Place
Space is the Place
and we all need to find our space
and we all need to find our place
and we all need to listen
to the master of the sun...
the RA man!!!!

Cool Sun Ra web site.
***

No comments: