Monday, May 29, 2006

Roger Chapman finally arrives, Neil Young deals with WAR and some depression crap

Roger Chapman with Family. Last gig 1973.
Finally...after 6 months!!...the Roger Chapman: Family and Friends (2003) 5 cd box set finally arrived. Having listened to the first 3 cds so far, I have come to the conclusion...it was worth the wait!

I've always been a huge Family fan and have all their albums, and have touched upon The Streetwalkers phase and his solo career marginally....so, there's lots of great stuff I've never heard on this, and some great unreleased live Family cuts as well. From what I've heard, it's worth getting live Chapman in any of his phases.

I went online and googled the box set, and so little came up it was ridiculous! I'm not a big fan of comparisons, but if you like Kevin Coyne and/or Ian Hunter I would recommend you check Roger out. Start with classic Family and then go from there. There are 2 good sites out there...thankfully! One for
Family and one for Chappo.

[aside: "I Keep Forgettin'" is playing right now...and...oh my...music can be soooo powerful]

[2nd aside: I'm listening to this as I'm working on another part of the blog, and cd 2 is blowing me away. Awesome!]

***

Random Thoughts

I've never heard or seen the P-Funk All Stars: Urban Dance Floor Guerillas (1983), but it sounds like it could be a hidden gem. The search will continue!

Check out
Cosmic Slop's blog for a link to an awesome live "Maggot Brain" by Banyan. Incredible.
***
How could this man be irritating? Psychotic maybe...
Neil Young: "Living with War" (2006) for the politics ***** for the music ****

I've always been a big Neil fan, and am always interested in how people react to him. The Guru herself has said that she finds Neil somewhat irritating. Yet...she likes "Harvest Moon". Even if you generally don't like Neil, you can usually find one album you don't mind.

I like them all...even the ones I don't like. Do you know what I mean?

Example - I don't really listen to his 80s albums. Landing on Water, Life, Old Ways etc...Let's be harsh. They are pretty far from being saddled with the "classic" tag. Yet I like the fact that they exist. The experimentation, the balls, the sheer ridiculousness of some of them...and just the fact that his record company sued him for making non-commercial albums. Gee...that opened my eyes...I thought record companies were in it for the music. Hahahahahahaha.

[aside: Life actually has a classic 3 song punch on side 2 (I used to have it on record) of "Too Lonely", "Prisoners of Rock'n'Roll" and especially "Cryin' Eyes". ]

One other thing about Neil. His lyrics. The man can write classic songs with insightful concise lyrics...brilliant...perceptive. BUT. He also writes some of the most clunky cliched lyrics out there. For some reason, I find this charming. Only Neil can get away with this.

[another god-damn aside: I just read a comment (not by Eyeball) on The Eyeball Kid's blog that stated that Tom Waits has attacked Neil Young for his often mundane lyrics. That doesn't sound like Tom so take it with a grain of salt, but as the Guru said...he wouldn't be wrong.]

Oh yeh!! The album? It sounds like the best Neil in years, even though I'm the only person on earth who actually loved, let alone "like", "Greendale".

[interjection: I saw Greendale live with the Guru in Toronto and actually liked the Greendale part of the show better than the greatest hits set....it was a great show all around, and I'm glad I finally saw Neil.]

The message of the lyrics is certainly more important than the poetry on this album. It was a rush job, since he wanted to get it out before George W. and his cronies totally screw the US up. Even if you disagree with the message, this is the most passionate and straightforward and simply rockin' Neil since Ragged Glory.
***
Some days I feel like...blah
Warning: Depression Crap

This is for those of you out there who struggle with depression and stuff...ha..maybe most of us. Remember, that even when everything seems hopeless

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!

THINK...

I mean REALLY think hard and try to be as rational as possible. It's never as bad we think. It's distorted thinking. I know. My thinking has been distorted for a long time (my whole fucking life!!!), and it's been really hard, but I know it's time to change that way of thinking for myself and my loved ones.

I'm taking it day by day and studying "The Feeling Good Handbook" by David Burns (as well as all the other fun shit that goes with it...counsellors, group work, meds) and it's really helping me a LOT!

Don't be put off by the cover. I know he looks like the most conservative boring guy ever, but man, it's making total sense to me. Even though I didn't show it last Monday night or Tuesday morning, and was sprinting to the funny farm, I started applying some of the shit and it's helped me bounce back fast...and hopefully better and wiser and more understanding. So, if anyone reads this and they're feeling like shit...hang in there and here's some positive vibes. PEACE
***

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you've hit the nail on the head with NY. Even though he always releases some crappy records, you have to admire his single-mindedness, he's pretty unique. I actually loved "Greendale". I think history will be kinder to it. Have you read "Shakey" - the biography?

Harvey Dog said...

Ah...there is another "Greendale" admirer out there! I never did understand the harsh attitude towards "Greendale". There seemed to be more of a backlash towards the stage show, so once that fades out of people's memory, then the record may become regarded more highly.

You're right about Neil's uniqueness. I read "Shakey" and loved it. Even though Neil doesn't come out very angelic, I liked him even more after reading the biography. Great bio!