Monday, May 22, 2006

Acid Mothers on the tip of my tongue, HEAVY Funkadelic and I'm Lost in the Grooves!!

I already rated Acid Mothers Temple: "Mantra of Love" (2004) *****

It deserves it!!
Mantra of Love. A classic.
Two long pieces that
ebb and flow
ebb and flow
and morph into
beautiful liquid electricity
as the mind
yearns to attain
that elusive
mantra of love.

My friend Randy (Hi Charlie!) is getting tons of Acid Mothers Temple, and my ears can hardly wait to devour them. The Acid Mothers, Can, Ash Ra Tempel, Albert Ayler and Gong are 5 musical artists who have moved way up my "fav scale". Red Krayola, Alex Harvey and Pharoah Sanders are on the rise too!

Acid Mothers Official Web Site.
***
Early Funkadelic know it's better to get a good sleep than party all night long.
Random Thoughts

Nothing gets as deep down funky as Funkadelic did.

Bar none.
Ponder this.
The first song on the first record is

"Mommy, What's a Funkadelic?".
It doesn't get any heavier than that!!!
The heaviness of early Funkadelic blows me away.

A bluesy, funky, grimy yet HEAVY sound that is quite
unlike anything I've ever heard in my life.
The drugs back then MUST have been fucking

dynamite...

The Funkadelic Album List.
###


Van Der Graaf Generator: Pawn Hearts (1971) **** This is the only VDGG I have, and I'm rather sick about it. It's like Roky Erickson on downers fronting early Genesis with King Crimson peeking in holding a vat of Soft Machine, while Pink Floyd are walking down the hall.

If one has to make a comparison.
###

I just picked up Lost in the Grooves: Scram's Capricious Guide to the Music You Missed edited by Kim Cooper and David Smay. The book lists those classic albums that slipped under the radar and have attained obscurity status.

Hey, the book comes with recommendations from Irwin Chusid (an expert on outsider music), Barney Hoskins (a well known critic guy), Marianne Faithfull!! and Blag Dahlia from The Dwarves!!!! With those people recommending this book, it should be good.

Glancing through it I saw Beefheart, John Cale, Exuma!!, James Gang, Judee Sill, Flo & Eddie!! and David Cassidy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What!!! And The Partridge Family!!!!!!!!!!!

OK.

This book looks like it's going to be F U N! You know, I'll be making notes and then eventually rant and rave here in the carnival.

I started looking through their web site (click on the link above!) and it looks pretty awesome. Check it out.
***

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard that AMT album although it seems impossible to keep up with the amount of records they release. As for Funkadelic, well I couldn't have put it better.

Harvey Dog said...

There are SO many AMT albums...it's great! "Mantra of Love" was 1 of about 4 or 5 available from amazon, so I took the plunge and glad I did.

Funkadelic are 1 of my 3 fav bands of all time. Beefheart is up there as well, and the third changes from week to week. This week I'll say Dylan for personal reasons.

Thanks Cosmic Slop!

Anonymous said...

Agreed. My friends and I grew up with Funkadelic. They were a huge part of broadening my musical spectrum from being a hardcore punk rock listening teenager to listening to everything. The Westbound albums are pure brilliance, especially the very early ones.