Thursday, May 11, 2006

Country Joe's integrity, 10 million cds and does that translate to happiness? Doesn't hurt baby, doesn't hurt!

Country Joe at Woodstock, or is it Monterey or is it...where the fuck am I anyway?
Country Joe McDonald is certainly a man of integrity. Check out his site. I'm gonna check out his Paris Sessions (1973) - this month's MOJO's Buried Treasure. A feminist album done with an all-gender band that cost him $100,000 cause there was no support from anywhere. [source: MOJO March 2006, p. 122]

I don't know...I just kind of found this story uplifting for some reason. Human integrity and all that.
***

The parental units have departed...maybe for the last time....

to offset the unhappiness and depression and all that crap
I went INSANE
and downloaded
and bought WAY too many albums

this gave me an incredible surface happiness
which I hope will be translated
into a DEEPER
more TRUE happiness.

Hey man, that's all our goals. Right?

time to discuss some of this
incredible cache of music
and maybe, just maybe,
you'll discover some
musical interests that tickle your
E A R D R U M S
***

[aside: I am only listing the albums I've listened to...only a few tonight. I want to get a post out there. More ravings to follow!]

Red Krayola: Introduction (2006) Yes!!! Thanks to Cosmic Slop for writing about this release. On first listen...what can I say? It fucking BLEW me away!!

Kevin Coyne: Legless in Manila (1983) I love Kevin Coyne. He's dead. He left behind dozens of albums to enjoy and dissect, wrote poetry and stories, was an artist...man, he was a fucking genius and I highly recommend him.
Kevin Coyne's official web site. This album sounds like he wrote it at a bar all bitter and that.

Eric Burdon: Soul of a Man (2006) This was a shocker. It sounded great. Eric's voice is in great form, the band is tight and the songs are high quality. [aside: Guru T-Lu was listening to this album and said that it sounds like Eric Burdon ate Van Morrison. I couldn't agree more!]

Acid Mothers Temple: Starless and Bible Black Sabbath (2006) Great title and strangely apt! Sabbath crossed with Crimson isn't a bad description. Absolutely awesome stuff.

John Cage: Bird Calls (1972) I listened to this at work and felt very strange afterwards.

Diamanda Galas: The Litanies of Satan (1982) Wow! Um...you could say she's a little intense.
Pharoah Sanders in the 90s
Pharoah Sanders: Karma (1969) This is my first Pharoah solo album and it floored me. It's very uplifting, and upon first listen it had the same power as Coltrane's Love Supreme (1964). I LOVE THIS ALBUM!!!Pharoah Sanders web site.

Mum: Yesterday Was Dramatic, But Today is OK (2000) I heard about this one from Ricardo Wang's
What's This Called? on KPSU radio Saturday at noon. Wild eclectic show worth checking out. This is beautiful experimental music.
***

Oh man, there's so many more
too many more...
no no no
blasphemy
there can never be too much
joy
happiness
elation
thought provoking
and endlessly
fascinating music
for our
listening pleasures.
***

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That "Karma" album is great. Check out "Tauhid" as well!

Harvey Dog said...

"Tauhid" will be my next Pharoah. The Red Krayola you recommended was awesome!