Thursday, May 04, 2006

Harvey Dog gets Gonged, Red Krayola teach parables and Poobah falls asleep

Gong and Acid Mothers. Now that must be one hell of a party!!!!
I got some Gong recently and did I ever get fucking high I was floating through angel eggs and motherhoods full of acid and...

Finally, I am starting to get into the world of Gong, and from what I've heard it's a world I think I'll enjoy very much. I bought Gong: The Very Best of Gong 1971-1977 (1997) and it merely whet my appetite. Now I have Angel's Egg (1973) and a wicked collaboration with the Acid Mothers on Acid Motherhood (2004).

Travel to
Planet Gong the official home of all things Gong. Here's a great article on Acid Motherhood and a great description of a 2004 Gong show. Daevid Allen is soooo fucking nuts. He's awesome!!!
***

Red Krayola: Parable of Arable Land (1967) ***** In anticipation of eventually getting the N E W (yes...NEW!!!) Red Krayola album, it was time to put on their 1st album.

What can I say? This is amazing shit!! I think this album is still ahead of its time! It's chaotic, angry, beautiful, melodic, outrageous, poetic, dark, light, somber, noisy, quiet...


Red Krayola. Just yer typical porch band. Check out web linked in blog!all these things
none of these things
as we are all one
yet we are no one
and all we know
is ignorance
and all we want
is bliss
bliss and ignorance
and this is not that
nor is it not...

it is merely...

everything.

Here's a
Red Krayola web site that has a couple of live performances from 2004 - the extremely relevant "War Sucks" and "Wives in Orbit". Awesome! Thanks!
***

Random Thoughts

The Dream Syndicate were a pretty awesome band. Days of Wine and Roses (1982) **** still sounds fresh and exciting.

I mentioned in a blog a long long long time ago, that I found Little Feat a rather disappointing band. I'd heard how great they were blah blah, and the pedigree is amazing. Lowell George and Roy Estrada came from Zappa's Mothers of Invention, and "Willin" is a great song. BUT...I thought
ONE MORE TIME!!!
so I put on Sailin' Shoes (1972) *** and I found even my fav album of theirs wasn't doing it for me anymore. A 4 to a 3. Not awful or anything.

Whenever I think of Red Krayola, I also think of The Silver Apples. They're both worth checking out.
Poobah hits the art books
Poobah has fallen asleep...how the hell can she fall asleep when Red Krayola are on the stereo!?!? Oh right. She's a dog. I forget sometimes.

After Red Krayola, how can you do anything else but put on Ash Ra Tempel? Rave On Timothy Leary Rave On.

I may not get a blog done this weekend, because my parents are visiting from Ontario. Oh Lord....

The first Argent (1969) album surprised me. Sounded really good.
***

Thanks to Cosmic Slop for some encouraging words! Check out his
flickr site for photos from some amazing concerts (including Red Krayola...motherfucker!!) he's attended, and check out Cosmic Slop's blog.

Here in Northern BC we get Motley Crue...NOT Red Krayola.
***

That's fun to say. Cosmic Slop's blog.
slop blog.
blog slop.
actually...say "Cosmic Slop's blog" 3 times fast. I break out into tongues!
***

2 comments:

steven edward streight said...

Gong is fab. I stumbled upon them way back in the day.

You ought to see Younger Than Yesterday record shop, just a block or two up the road from our bungalow. Full of CDs and LPs by all these bands you mention in your blog.

Most of the CDs are used, but in good shape. I bought a Lemon Drops, Blue Cheer (Outsideinside), and SRC first album there, on CD.

You probably love WFMU, Ubu Web, and YouTube (check out the Fugs material). But do you know of Kill Radio dot org?

Harvey Dog said...

Daevid Allen is so cool in an insane old psychedelic uncle kind of way...that is.

You're making me envious with that record shop! In Prince George, we had a cool record store (classic lps) but it closed. That leaves HMV...* sigh * I miss the good old record store.

I like Blue Cheer. A buddy of mine from an old job made a cassette for me of them and it got pretty heavy rotation in the car!

I love all 3 sites. I'm going to check out The Fugs after this. I just went to Kill Radio and it looks fantastic. I'm going to check it out...thanks for the tip!