Sunday, April 30, 2006

Embryo, Dave Davies gets hit upon, random notes and poetry

Embryo live in the studio 1970
Embryo: Opal (1970) Not Rated (1st listen!)

This is more jazz oriented than a lot of the krautrock I've heard, but so what? It still has that sound, and experimentation is there in abundance. It's the openness and spaciness that makes krautrock so alluring to me. I also dig the violin and sax playing. The 26 minute long "Laufte" (a bonus cut) is pretty insane. Almost Krautrane! hahaha.

"You Don't Know What's Happening"
"Soul is Dead, lure her into the hall," from "End of Soul"

Not many lyrics on this mainly instrumental album, but what's there (as you can tell) is deep! This is new stuff to me, but it's very exciting, and considering they're still making albums and touring, there appears a LOT to catch up on!

As a side note: Christian Burchard, Embryo's leader, was an early member of Amon Duul II.
Embryo's official web site - obviously a lot of it is in German. Photo is taken from Klaus Unland's Music Pages. Includes lots of info on Embryo and other great bands (Can, Zappa)...mainly in German!! Ah well...
***

Random Notes

um...where exactly are we going Dave?
Did you know that Dave Davies of The Kinks was hit upon by John Wayne Gacy in 1965! Gacy actually promoted a Kinks show in 1965 at a high school in Springfield, Illinois and he took them back to his place afterwards and made the moves on Dave, who was getting under the influence, until the remaining Kinks felt something didn't "taste right", and got the hell out of there!! [source: MOJO March 2006, p. 74]

Bands to explore: Kaleidoscope (60s psychedelia), Vashti Bunyan, Television Personalities.

I'm really enjoying Spirit: The Mercury Years (1997) **** coming through my headphones and into my pineal gland right now. Great covers of "Like a Rolling Stone" and (especially) "Hey Joe". Disc 1 is Spirit of 76 (1975) and the 2nd disc includes selections from Son of Spirit (1975), Farther Along (1976) and Future Games (1977). We all need a little bit of Spirit in our lives. And Dr. Demento writes the liner notes!

I finally got my taxes done!!!

Recent Acquisitions: Embryo ("Opal" (1970)- reviewed above), Porcupine Tree's "Deadwing" (2005), Best of The Bonzos (1970) and Barclay James Harvest ("Everyone is Everybody Else" (1974)). I'm really excited about the Embryo. Gotta love the freaky Germans!

***

It's a hard road...a long road
trying to discover who you are

sort through memories

recall
actions and reactions

looking for the road
that leads to inner peace
but directions
are not my strength

and I feel lost
and alone
in an u g l y world

trying to make sense
of a shitload of nonsense!!
***

A question for anyone out there who suffers from depression. How does your musical taste change when you enter the "dark zone"?

I find myself feeling numb and immobile and too tired to put anything on. The "dark zone" can take away enjoyment of our most precious things, and the things we enjoy the most.

It's FUCKED...
***

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this blog and have been reading it for months. Keep on keepin' on!

Anonymous said...

Dark Zone = "Black Sheets Of Rain" by Bob Mould

Harvey Dog said...

Thank you for your encouraging words. They mean a LOT!

I only have 1 Sugar album ("File Under Easy Listening"), so haven't heard this song. I'm definitely going to check it out.

Anonymous said...

Not only the title track, it's a whole album's worth of misery!

Harvey Dog said...

I went to all-music and checked it out. It looks bleak, dark, and raw. Right up Harvey Dog's alley! This and the new Red Krayola album ("Introduction") are on my "next-to-get" list. Thanks Cosmic Slop!