Friday, April 07, 2006

Insipid conversations and statements caused by The Beatles, Frank Zappa and Mott the Hoople get raves

The Guru is no groupie for the Beatles!
Conversation between Guru T-Lu and Harvey Dog while listening to The Beatles "In My Life" (one of the sappiest songs I've ever heard...never a fan) from Ozzy Osbourne's crazy album of covers "Under Cover". He does "Sympathy for the Devil"!!

Guru T-Lu: "What song is this again?"
Harvey Dog: "The Beatles. 'In My Life'. Johnny Cash covered it as well."
Guru T-Lu: "They both do it so much better than The Beatles."

...a minute or so later

Harvey Dog: "I went through my Beatles phase in grade school. Still listened to them in high school, but as the years pass I don't listen to them much anymore."
Guru T-Lu: "Your tastes have matured."

As you can ascertain the Guru is NOT a Beatles fan.

***

A ridiculous statement made by Harvey Dog approximately 1 week ago.

Harvey Dog: "If Courtney Love didn't kill Kurt Cobain, then I feel somewhat sorry for her. A little bit, not much, but a little bit. However...if Courtney Love did kill Kurt Cobain then I don't feel sorry for her at all."

Sometimes I worry about my mind.

***

Sleazy Goodness: Queens of the Stone Ages "Auto Pilot" from Rated R (2000). I love this song...I love that sound...pure fucking rock'n'roll.
***
Zappa imagines the guitar as a phallic symbol
Frank Zappa: Hot Rats (1969) *****

I've loved this album for a couple of decades now. It sounds tamer than it did to my ears when I was in high school. After all the weird shit I’ve been exposed to, this is incredibly tight and melodic.

  • "Peaches En Regalia" is always catchy and enjoyable...in all of its incarnations.
  • The beginning of "Willie the Pimp" is one of my all-time fav openings in rock music. Captain Beefheart sounds awesome singing Zappa’s lyrics with a real sleaziness and edge. Easily in my top 5 fav Zappa songs of all time. [aside: There’s a list to work on. Top 10 fav zappa songs] Sugar Cane Harris’ violin is also one of my ears favorite sounds!!
  • "Son of Mr. Green Genes" rolls along with some great guitar playing by the Z man.
    Every song is enjoyable.
  • I enjoy "Gumbo Variations" more as the years roll on.
  • "It Must Be a Camel" and "Little Umbrellas" are both strong melodic (there's that fucking word again!) songs.

In some ways...you could make an argument that this is the last classic Zappa album. If you take out One Size Fits All (1975) and You Are What You Is (1981) and you could be right, rabbit, you could be right.

Official Zappa web site.
Cool St. Alphonzo's Pancake Homepage for Zappa fans.
***
Mott the Hoople rocking another high school party!
Mott the Hoople: “A Tale of Two Cities” 1971-1972 (2000) This is a fantastic collection!! Mott were fucking animals live.
they rocked hard
intense
focused
even the ballads
had an edge to them.

Bowie was pretty stoned and egotistical introducing them, and then Mott came on and just cranked it up. Hearing this cd just reminds me how much of a Mott the Hoople fan I am. I used to have "Mott", the "Rock and Roll Queen" compilation and "Ian Hunter" all on fucking 8 track!
That's how long I've been a fan!!

It's always nice to get a reminder of an old fav!

Mott the Hoople and Ian Hunter web site.
The Mott Archive.
Official Ian Hunter web site
.
***

No comments: