Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Uncut's Playlist gets analyzed, Arctic Monkeys heat up humans, and an old lyric's cobwebs are blown away!!

I'm listening to the new Uncut Playlist May 2006, and while good as usual, it is lacking in truly revelatory material.

Hey! That was almost critic-like. Stop that Harvey Dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm already very familiar with the following:
Lynyrd Skynyrd!? (didn't expect Skynyrd on an uncut cd!)
Fairport Convention (love em...saw Richard Thompson live a couple of years ago, and he was fantastic)
Ronnie Spector (covering The Ramones' "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow" and sounding incredibly natural...great!)
Japan (blah...never got into them...poor man's Roxy. Re-evaluation time?)
Tom Verlaine (always loved Television...this sounds ok)
Bob Marley (i wonder why I've never really got reggae...I mean I love the ganja, but it just doesn't hit me - the music, not the ganja...I always find my mind wandering. Sorta like what it's doing now...any suggestions? anyone I should explore? actually this "Soul Shakedown Party" sounds great. I think I need to check out early Wailers stuff and forget the later commercial stuff)
Faust
Faust (they have Faust on the playlist! Awesome! I already have the first 4 Faust albums, but anyone who doesn't needs to do some exploring!! Fucking Faust...great stuff)

Familiar to a lesser extent with:
Lambchop (interesting)
Calexico (haven't hit me)
Editors (this caught my ear...)
Graham Coxon (not bad, rabbit, not bad)
The Charlatans (sounds ok...not that familiar)
Candi Staton (why haven't I checked her out yet? this is great!)

[aside: goddam it!! I just had my flow interrupted by a phone solicitation...that sucks!]

New stuff for me:
Band of Horses (sounded blah, then great, then so-so, then pretty great...all in one song. Could be worth a little interrogation)
Jose Gonzalez (wow! loved it!)
Denim (sounds like cool NYC rawk'n'roll...the guy from Felt. gotta check em both out)

I love these Uncut cds. If Paul McCartney has nothing to do with them, then they're bound to be good. Uncut, MOJO and Record Collector blow away any North American music mags. Except for maybe Black To Comm or Mole's old fanzine! Black To Comm's Blog called, cleverly, Blog To Comm. Check it out!

[aside: Allan Jones where's my commission??]
***

Who let these young kids onto my blog!! I hate kids!!!Arctic Monkeys "Whatever You Say I Am, That's What I'm Not" (2006) I am rocking out to "I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor" and now it's changed to the funky rocker, "Tales of San Francisco". What a great 1-2 punch
to the fucking jaw
of modern rock'n'roll!!!

I keep turning the volume up while listening to this cd...now that's fucking ROCK'N'ROLL!!!
this ain't pristine
this is
grit
dirt
sex
anger
a release for the soul
saving my soul
fucking my soul....that's what we all need. A good soul fuck!
Arctic Monkeys Home Page
***

ANGER

I shiver with rage at the lack of sensitivity
when I walk around your smelly downtown,
There was this asshole
who pushed me aside, he thought he was tough,
I'm not taking it, I've had enough.

Don't push me round
don't put me down
Anger!!!

Sex in the city, isolation's free
if you want to live miserably,
why don't you talk to me
I'll remind you of your history,
we can't keep making the same mistakes
if we wanna die naturally

We gotta fight
we gotta fight
Anger!!!

This anger cannot be constrained
this anger cannot be restrained,
it's time to spit it out
and let everybody know
that it's too late to be sedate
we've got to let the anger flow

We gotta fight
don't push us round
Anger!!!!

By: John Harvey 1986? recorded and performed by The Hated Uncles back in the day.
***

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny guy! pretty spot on too. must check out Faust though. I bough so mant cd's due to the Uncut CD, will have to stop buying it as I am skint

Harvey Dog said...

Hi Darren

I know what you mean about buying cds due to the Uncut cd, and then being broke. I'm in debt and I can't stop buying music! Hopefully, with the new technology, more music will be available at less cost. If the record companies are sensible. hahahahahahaha

Any of the 1st 4 Faust cds are definitely worth checking out. Mind blowing stuff!

Harvey Dog