Monday, October 09, 2006

YouTube gets a hold of me: Parliaments, Dylan, GG yelling, Derek and the Dominos, Acid Mothers, Moby Grape and Professor Shatner speaks.

Shatner rocks!!!..or something
YouTube Musings

I've been getting trapped up in the YouTube phenomenon. It really is pretty fucking great!!!

Here's some awesome shit I've seen.

Bob Dylan doing "Old Man" from 2002. Fucking fantastic! Great version...great song for Bob. If you're a Dylan fan, or a fan of the song...go, go now and view it. Go on you...get.

Derek and the Dominos doing "It's Too Late" (unfortunately without Duane, but still...), sounding great on the Johnny Cash show, who then wanders out with his guitar and you know what's coming. No you don't, cause they also pull out Carl Perkins and The Dominos and Cash / Perkins rock out on "Matchbox".

I really don't know what to say about the next one.
It brought tears to my eyes
thoughts to my brain
a lump to the throat
contemplation...deepness...philosophy...
extremely fucking P S Y C H E D E L I C
William Shatner doing a brilliant version of "Taxi" and revealing layers that Harry Chapin could never have imagined.
This is classic.

Serge Gainsbourg & Brigette Bardot in the video for "Bonnie & Clyde". I'm not entirely sold on Gainsbourg, but this is a great song, and the video is very dramatic.
Bonnie & Cl-i-de.

A real find ----
The Parliaments doing "What Is Soul?" in all their freaky glory from 1969. I've looked for old Funkadelic, and it's not that easy to find, so this was awesome. Fuzzy Haskins sounds awesome and the whole band...well, it don't get no fucking cooler than this!!

Almost 10 minutes of Moby Grape doing 3 songs. It starts off with a couple of tv performances...strong and great.
Then...let the acid kick in and
feedback roars,
guitars blare and there's some kind of movie going on in the background of the performance. Wild.

GG Allin yelling at people.

Acid Motherfucking Temple - 2 3 minute live snippets. One was
Pink Lady Lemonade. Absolutely gorgeous and transcendent. Takes me away every fucking time. The other was the opposite extreme. Loud, abrasive, chaos, guitars flying, hair flying...Awesome.
***
Dylan prays!!!
Random New Listening, Thoughts

I've been working on adding some class to the collection, so I've added Bill Withers "Just As I Am" (1971) and Al Green's "Let's Stay Together" (1972). Needless to say, they are both brilliant, and more more more is needed!!!

I didn't think The Pseudo-Velvets "Squeeze" (1973) album sounded as bad as the legend would have you believe.

I heard Dylan in his born-again phase from 1980 at Massey Hall in good old T.O, and found it very interesting.
What the hell was going on with Dylan at this time?
Is he serious? There's certainly an energy there that I find very intriguing.

Beck's "Mellow Gold" (1994) finally converted me over to Beck's side. I'm not sure what took me so long, but I thought this album was pretty awesome.

Help Yourself: Strange Affair (1972) is very enjoyable / interesting. Gotta find out more about these guys.

Finally...I picked up The Velvet Underground: 1969 Live Volume 2 (1974) and was enthralled listening to this masterpiece once again. There's lots of live Velvets out there now (aside: Quine's bootleg series is in-fucking-credible), but back in the day when I had this on vinyl it was the only decent live Velvets out there.

The Bevis Frond: New River Head (1971) was great. Another guy to look into.

***

No comments: