Thursday, August 02, 2007

Can: Monster Movie (1969) AWESOME!! Haida Gwaii and the eagles


Can: Monster Movie (1969) *****
Only Damo could step into the lead vocalist position after this in-fucking-credible debut. This has become one of my fav albums of ALL TIME!!!!!!

I push the play button and before I know it, I'm up and bopping around the living room in a shamanistic trance...

I sing out loud
I make up my own words
I pick up a recorder
I start JAMMING
my mind is free

I'm a believer baby
I'll do right
I'm not contrary
I'll be okay

I love Damo, but this is right there. There is more of a rock fury on this than any other Can album. I can feel my body's intensity increase as this is playing.

This is more fucking punk than any punk I can think of! No wonder Johnny Rotten loves these guys. The rhythm section is absolutely pounding...Karoli just wails at times...and of course Irmin is fantastic on the keys.

I know I've talked about this album before, but every time I listen...I love it MORE.

[aside: Wow...I'm listening to the last bit of "Yoo Doo Right" and is that some of the best bass playing...ever?!?!] Apparently, Malcolm focused on his painting and sculpting after he left Can (due to a nervous breakdown...which may explain the "intensity" of the album.

Get It
Get It
Get It
If you haven't heard it...Well, to sum up: Listening and getting into this album reminds me of the old days (25 years ago!!) when I first got into The Stooges and The Velvet Underground. You feel a whole new world of music opening up to you. Music is fucking exciting...dammit!!!
***


Haida Gwaii Update

It is awesome here. We go down to the ocean almost every night. Last night there were dozens upon dozens of eagles in the trees along the beach. Incredible..and a little frightening. Those guys are HUGE!! We just hope that one doesn't come along and take the Bah away!
***

No comments: