Saturday, November 03, 2007

Belated R.I.P to Dewey "The Missing Link" Robertson

The incredible Missing Link...RIP Dewey!!!
I was on a wrestling board and these guys were discussing who had the real "hardest" head in wrestling. Well, I can attest that if anyone had a harder head than Dewey "The Missing Link" Robertson, I have yet to meet that person...and am not sure I would want to!!

I was privilieged to have been trained as a wrestler by The Link and his son, "Jumping" Jason Stirling. Sean "Val Venis" Morley was also in the class, and I had the opportunity to train with him many many times. Great guy. [aside: since I'm name-dropping, I've also been in the ring with Adam "Edge" Copeland...you knew Edge and Val would make it...they had it, and were willing to make the sacrifices required]

Anyhow, back to Dewey. I got to know Dewey quite well over a few years. We trained one summer in his backyard on Beach Blvd in Hamilton, and he would wander out offering insight to us...sometimes about life, sometimes about wrestling. I had the wonderful opportunity to wrestle Dewey many times in training, and once on an independent card in Hamilton. The match we had in Hamilton went about 10 minutes, and I couldn't believe how much a veteran of Dewey's stature gave me...he let me look stronger than most veterans would. It was a nice match, which ended when I missed an elbow off the top, and walked into a Link Slam...1,2,3...awesome! Everything went smooth...no pain....

unlike...

After Jason's training camp had been open for over a year, Dewey was chomping at the bit to get back into wrestling...at 58!! He was strong as a fucking ox!!! Well, Dewey decided to have a go with everyone in training...I guess, to also see what we were made of. I missed a session, and when I went to the next one, a couple of the guys came up, and started going on about how Dewey beat the snot out of a couple of the boys...he wasn't holding back! Old school baby...

It was my turn.

Dewey and I talked briefly. He asked what my finish was, and I told him elbow off the top...he said fine, we'll go 2 out of 3 falls...listen!!! That was the key. Listen to him. Follow his lead.

We started off and after a couple of minutes we were brawling away. I happened to notice that "Silent" Brian Macknie was at ringside and he had left his motorcycle helmet at the corner of the ring. Soon, The Link was down and was right by the helmet. I leaned over and

SMACK!!!!!

right on my head...I staggered back...Link had hit me in the head with the helmet at full velocity. I blacked out for a sec, and somehow noticed the helmet by my feet (I have no idea how it got there! I was fucking loopy), then I heard Link mutter, "Hit me..." Well, I was trying to get my head together, but I knew I had to hit him, and hit him hard...[aside: something that "Bullwhip" Danny Johnson had taught me...if a guy gives it to you...well, you gotta give it back...RIP Danny] So I did...I looked down, and then I heard Link mutter "Harder"...WHAT????? Could I even hit him harder? So, I wound up and hit him with that motorcycle helmet as hard as I could. Link shrugged it off, got up, and soon pinned me for the first fall. I was still seeing stars, Link was loving it...we finished off our match (in front of about 12-15 people at the training center), shook hands and I was feeling pretty proud at that moment. I survived The Missing Link at full throttle, and didn't bitch or moan about it...just shook hands, and then shot the shit with him and the other guys. Apparently, it was the best match Dewey had with any of the trainees.

So I can attest from firsthand experience that Dewey had the hardest head in wrestling.

The 3-4 years I was in wrestling, Dewey and his family always treated me great, and I have nothing but incredibly fond memories of my time in pro wrestling. I would have loved for it to continue, but the back got fucked up and I was 35...I started when I was 30-31...

So...RIP Dewey and thank you for the good times and incredible memories.
###################

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Dewey had passed away. I got a chance to talk to him about a year ago and he gave me a signed copy of his book "Bang Your Head". He said at the time he was dying of cancer, but that he was going to use his remaining time to warn against the evils of substance abuse.

Now I have a book AND a briefcase to remember him by.

And it is a mighty fine briefcase.

Harvey Dog said...

Hi Andrew

Yeh, Dewey died August 16th. He wrestled about 3 months prior to his death. He was quite a unique individual...and he loved his briefcases!

I'm blogging today, and I'll put up a youtube tribute to him. It has pictures of him wrestling this past year. What a guy! What a life he had!!

Hope you and the family are doing well,

John