Saturday, January 19, 2008

Tom Waits' "Orphans" & Discography..and I got my 3rd job!!

I hear my train a coming...oh shit!!
Tom Waits: Orphans (2006) I was listening to the 1st disc of this absolute classic, and it blew me away. Tom Waits is someone I appreciate the more I listen to him....and I've listened a LOT!!!

In my ignorant old days, I would tease Paul Ropel for being a fan of Tom, but that has blown up in my face...I'm a huge fan, and have all his cds. Live and learn, babies!! Of course, I'm still not that big of a Laurie Anderson fan, who Paul was also keen on.

Tom Waits can belch and it would still be rhythmical! The things he can do with that voice of his is amazing. This collection is great, and is worth going back to many times. I'm on my 3rd go-through. Do NOT underestimate it's value. Out of 56 songs, 30 are brand new. The others are obscurities. No basic collection of unused tracks for Mr. Waits! The man is certainly not lacing in integrity. If you're new to Tom, I would start with Rain Dogs (1985) or Swordfishtrombones (1983)....but don't stop there!

And he covers 2 Ramones songs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Waits Discography and short comments

Closing Time (1973) *** Tom's early stuff is much more folk / ballad based. So, I'm not as crazy about it. Still, some of the songwriting is pretty incredible. Tim Buckley did a nice cover of "Martha" from this album.
The Heart of Saturday Night (1974) *** Some more awesome songwriting from Tom's early period.
Nighthawks at the Diner (1975) *** Tom gets all jazzy here, and tells hilarious stories in between his songs. The first TW I got, and I loved it at the time, but he's done better.
Small Change (1976) ***1/2 His songwriting and stories are even better here.
Foreign Affairs (1977) **1/2 Not too crazy about this one. Only "Burma Shave" stands out for me.
Blue Valentine (1978) ***1/2 A leap up from Foreign Affairs. One of my fav of TW's "early" period.
Heartattack and Vine (1980) *** Inconsistent, but the good stuff, is really good. I love "Jersey Girl" for some reason...probably cause it's brilliant songwriting!
One From the Heart w/ Crystal Gayle (1982) n/a Only recently got this one. Love Crystal's hair though. hehehe
Swordfishtrombones (1983) ***** This must have blown his fans away when it came out. So many fantastic songs...just get it..."16 Shells" & "In the Neighborhood" are particular favs.
Rain Dogs (1985) ***** Another classic. Experimental, yet melodic, yet soft, yet hard...This may even better than "Swordfish"...whatever, they are both absolutely brilliant.
Frank's Wild Years (1987) ***** Fuck it...I was going with 4 1/2, then I took another look, and they're are too many brilliant songs, not to give TW a 3rd straight fiver. The Hated Uncles covered "Straight to the Top" from this one. Our only cover.
Big Time (1988) *** A great live album, but get the 3 previous albums instead. Then get the dvd of this. Tom live is quite the experience!
Bone Machine (1992) ***** This man is on such a roll. This is an album harder to digest, but worth tasting. A little more discordant, a little more...disturbing. I love it!!!
The Black Rider (1993) **1/2 Didn't get into this one really. And The Guru, kept saying that William Burroughs was a murderer while listening to this...so that threw off my judgement!
Mule Variations (1999) **** As an album, maybe a tad too long, but there is a lot of brilliance going on here.
Alice (2002) ****1/2 Beautiful...a sad album but not sad...let it wrap you in it's otherworldliness and caress the fragility of this world.
Blood Money (2002) **** Released at the same time as Alice, this is a little harder, and has it's usual fair share of brilliance.
Real Gone (2004) ***1/2 Of course this is great, but again it could be a tad too long...maybe not listened to it enough yet.
Orphans (2006) ***** see above...Genius

Note: The first time I ever saw Tom was on Fernwood Tonight. A hilarious show starring Martin Mull as a smarmy host and his dimwitted sidekick Fred Willard. Tom was fantastic. My Dad thought Tom was hilarious. He (Tom...not my Dad!) did a drunken version of "The Piano Has Been Drinking" and did a priceless interview with Mull and Willard. Check it out here!! thanx GuruX!!!



&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
taking bah for a ride
Personal Shit

Living in Haida Gwaii is quite the experience. I'm fitting in more and more, especially since I just got my 3rd job. There aren't too many FT jobs here, so you gotta grab a whole bunch of PT/on-call jobs. Of course, The Bah and I went for a walk by the ocean today...so you know...I ain't complaining!!!

On another note, our cat of 17 1/2 years, Trouble, is still hanging in there. We're hoping he can make it through another summer, which is his fav time of year, being an outdoor cat.

go Trouble go go go!!!!!
****************

No comments: