Sunday, March 15, 2009

youtubes: Rufus Zuphall, Frank Zappa and The Hated Uncles!!

I was turning the dial on my youtube last night and came across some very cool videos. Here are 3 of em - 1 krautrock, 1 zappa and 1 hated uncle...

1) There is something about krautrock that really penetrates my inner being. It's got the right amount of prog, rock and avante-garde elements that appeals to my creative side. It would be so cool to have a couple of like-minded freaks...get high hi hi and experiment away...get into a state of mind...let ideas flow with no inhibitions...
fuck restrictions
loud quiet
high low
who cares????
no put-ons...no uniforms...
Today, I was listening to Pendragon's "Believe" from 2005. They call it neo-prog on Prog Archives [aside: great site btw] and while there are some ok moments, overall it sure doesn't turn my crank. It's not gritty enough. Too controlled...too earnest at times...a lack of humour. I don't find that with krautrock.
I continue to explore German rock from the 70s, and continue to find some incredible music from that geography and period. A recent fav discovery [aside: for me anyway!] has been Kollectiv, but I couldn't find any vids on youtube of them! So here's another recent fav - Rufus Zuphall: "Portland Town" from 1971 - including kids and war toys! thanks molestik!



#######################

2) When I first started getting high and drunk at 15 we would listen to "Billy the Mountain" constantly (hey - we were in high school!) and I've been a massive Zappa fan since. I have pretty much most of the official releases and tons of live shows (shhhh - don't tell the Zappa Family Trust) and while he released some stinkers in his life (Man From Utopia or Tinseltown Rebellion anyone?) I always feel right at home when Zappa is on my mp3 player or turntable or cd player or just running through my brain for no apparent reason.
Here's a weird one I hadn't seen until last night. Frank Zappa on Australian tv with Norman Gunston - whom I had never heard of before. It's from 1975 and is pretty cool with FZ on acoustic and Norman on harmonica. thanks royism!



#########################

3) JK's been hard at work again and added another Hated Uncles to youtube. It's probably my fav of the 5 he's done yet. It's "A Night in the Alley" and from 1992. thanks jkubu0!



*************************

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice to see those Hated Uncle videos.
So you are way over in BC now?? WTF??

/hu

Roger

Harvey Dog said...

WTF indeed!

Yep...been over in BC coming up to 5 years. Is this Roger from Brantford? D'oh!!

John

Unknown said...

Nope! Boise!!
Haha!

Harvey Dog said...

We're practically neighbors!