Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Music Babblings: Troggs, Ramones, Bintangs, LSD Connection, Nazca and Nucleus!!!

Music Babblings

The Troggs: Archaeology disc 1 of 2 - man, the incredible proto punk metal "I Want You" - later covered very effectively by MC5, but this version smokes even that - has an incredible, barely contained, intensity and Presley's (Reg) vocals suit the song perfectly and makes it fucking ominous.
Incredibly underrated! I'm just on disc 1, and it sounds like side 2 may get weaker
BUT
the first disc fucking rocks...[aside: just as I type this, "Any Way That You Want Me" slows things down a lot - yet - this is also rocks in a way, and i'm a sucker for the cello]...oh yeh..."I Can Only Give You Everything" is another stone cold classic. It reminds me of one of my fav Kinks songs - "I'm Not Like Everybody Else", which is classic punk done 1965 style.
1-2-3-4!! we're the fucking Ramones!!!
Listening to The Ramones: "All the Stuff and More, vol. 1" reminded me of what a brilliant vocalist Joey Ramone was. The Ramones were awesome, and I highly recommend the dvd: "End of the Century: The Story of The Ramones" which I own and cherish and need to rewatch very soon.

I have a fondness for The Bintangs. To these ears, they epitomize what I think a good original bar band should sound like. These Dutch rockers have been around since 1961, and I just finished listening to "Alright" from 1991 - not expecting much...ya know, albums from 60s artists in the 90s don't usually yield too many positive results (Ian Hunter excepted), but this album was great...catchy, rockin', decent lyrics, 2 different style singers - one gruff, one smooth...short, economical songs that get right to the point. Man, these guys are great!!

For some reason, I've been enjoying Nazareth and Status Quo lately. I'm regressing back to grade 10...that's alright, isn't it?

Various: LSD Connection, vol. 7 (60s-70s released 2005) I already wrote about this series, and this is one of it's finest volumes. One heavy classic after another! Epizootic...Crank...Terry Brooks & Strange...Orion's Beethoven...one after another...classic after classic...I'm going to look up each of these guys. Here's the lineup:
Intro
Who's This Man - Utopia
Sinbad - Epizootic
Don't Push Me Away - Crank
Ruler of the Universe - Terry Brooks and Strange
El Nino del Tercer Milenio - Orion's Beethoven
Pain - Jenghiz Khan
Scarboro Fair - Ugly Custard
I Saw a Killin' - Josefus -
Demon and Eleven Children - Blues Creation
Children of the Universe - Banchee
Enjoy Yourself - Dragonfly
Stealer - Corporal Gander's Fire Dog Brigade
Gente - The (St. Thomas) Pepper Smelter
Whisky - Whisky David
Out of the Shadows - Clap

Man, Blues Creation!!! Awesome!!! Josefus...yeh, that was a fantastic song as well! A series I can't recommend enough...here's that damn link...here. Try any of them.

Nazca were quite the awesome band from the mid 80s. Very jazz experimental, with classical elements...always interesting...fascinating. From Mexico, releasing 2 albums in their too-brief lifetime. Nazca (1985) Estacion de Sombra (1986) and a live one released in 1988, but not sure when recorded.

The Pebbles series is even more brilliant than I expected!

I finally heard Ian Carr's Nucleus, and thought "We'll Talk About It Later" (1971) was great rockin' jazz. Harder than I expected. Definitely worth hearing more Nucleus albums. You can find Ian Carr's discography at Catasto Music Rarities.

[aside: man, I'm still digging The Troggs! "My Lady" just finished and I loved it! Another classic!!]
***********************

No comments: