Thursday, September 23, 2010

Computers - Javascript is case sensitive stupid!!! Working away on my web site.

Computers
Murach Javascript book

Sometimes it's a stupid thing that can hang you up. So, I'm blowing off the cobwebs on my javascript skills by going through Murach's "Javascript and DOM Scripting" (2010) book, and I can feel the skills sharpening. Then I go to the first simple exercise - and it's simple enough (very simple actually!). BTW - I'm using Notepad++ with the autocompletion. I type in an alert method to display upon loading. I'm digging the notepad autocompletion feature, and I type in window.onl (and click enter when the onLoad event displays for autocompletion). Simple enough, eh? So's I drag my mouse to open up the file in Mozilla - what? no alert!? I go to IE 8 - and nothing. WTF?! I go digging online - can't find nothing...wait a minute! JS is case sensitive...I change onLoad to onload & voila! It works. When events are members of an object, they should be lowercase. D'uh!!! This is one case autocompletion in notepad++ hung me up for a bit...now I know.

Oh yeh, I should  also mention I really like the setup of the Murach book. Excellent!
###########################

Web Site

I am wanting to get back into web development, programming, database game asap. This is what I went back to school for - this is the field I made the most money at - this is the field I can plug away at past 65 (easy on the body) - this is the field I enjoy most. To do this, I need to build up a portfolio, and I finally decided I need to start by getting my own web site up and running. I've started working on it, but won't put it up until I'm satisfied with it. First one, will be a combo of personal (music & poetry), business (a web design page) & hopefully I'll also get this blog inserted into it. Eventually, I'll want to separate the 2 web sites (personal & business), but man, I realize I got get the motherfucker up!!!

Back to the JS book.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I haven't forgotten about my fav artists, and will soon work on The B's! That was fun.
*****************************

No comments: