Wednesday, December 05, 2007

A shitload of music appears!!!!


My friend Randy from Vancouver sent a package with an incredible amount of music in it...I mean a LARGE amount of music!!!!

I haven't done a blog lately, cause I've been so engrossed in the package I've had no time...and a little bit of "real" work here and there helps pay the bills!

I don't even know where to begin??? There is so much incredible music enclosed it's left me awestruck. There have been a number of names I didn't recognize...which I love! Cause then it's time to research.

Let's start with the ones that stand out:

The Grateful Dead - pretty much every album ever released - and I'm including the Dick's Picks series and the Download Series...all the official releases, a couple of boots...an absolutely fantastic amount. Of course, this makes Randy a freak - and I guess I'm a freak too, since I'll keep every last damn one! Great album covers too! I began by refreshing myself with "Live/Dead" from 1969 and was blown away again. "Dark Star"..."St. Stephen"...Pigpen wailing away...yeh, pretty fucking great!! Let's hear it for the original space rockers.

Jandek - a bunch of albums from the one-time recluse. I put on "Six and Six" from 1981 and loved it. Quiet, spooky, personal...this is a discography I'm looking forward to delving into. Yeh, Mole, I'm finally becoming a Mr. Jandek fan. When I get a job, I'll be getting a hold of Corwood...gotta fill in the missing albums, and there are 51 albums available as of today! I love the fact he made his career by being truly independent! Jandek's web site.

A ton of Will Oldham's stuff. I've read nothing but positive things about Mr. Oldham, but am ignorant about his music. That will change soon.

The 1st 29 episodes of Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour. Playlists here. I listened to the 1st one and loved it! Lots of music I've never heard and some interesting tidbits by DJ Bob. The Prisonaires story was heartbreaking!

John Fahey discog - I can finally get into and start properly appreciating this giant of the guitar...I've only had "Return of the Repressed" and years ago an old lp of "Blind Joe Death" which I loved.

The Love, Peace & Poetry series of psychedelic music from different countries. Turkish psychedelic music!?!? You bet!!! Here's some info. This is right up my alley.

The Numero Group series of obscure soul, gospel funk and kid's soul! Great stuff for the music archaeologist. Numero home page.

Oh man...this is like the tip of the iceberg!

Albert Ayler - one of my favs
The Buffalo Springfield Box Set - read some mixed reviews about it, but the music can't be beat and I've always wanted to hear this baby.
Mandrill - you can't have too much funk!
Les Razilles Denudes - 70s Japanese wild noisy insane shit!! I had never heard of these guys and it makes me feel ashamed. This is the type of music I've been getting into recently!
The Shaggs - ok Bruce...now I'll find out why you love them so much.
Royal Trux / Pussy Galore / Neil Hagerty / Destroyer - wow! I recently listened to "Singles Live Unreleased" and felt I getting it! I always liked Destroyer.

Lots of albums from 2006 - Howlin' Rain (already listened to, and loved it!) Oneida (these guys are great) Scott Walker (starting to slowly get into Scott...probably too tasteful for me to get right away!) Sufjan Stevens (i've been wanting to hear this one for ages) Sunn O))) (i just got into them...did you read my mind RG?..I have the 1st 3 ready to send you!) Rufus Harley (bagpipe free jazz...i've been wanting to hear this since reading about him in MOJO)

I'm listening to cd 1 of Forever Changing: The Golden Age of Elektra Records and digging their early folky roots.

Box Sets
What It Is! Funky Soul & Rare Grooves (looks amazing!)
David Crosby (the disc of rarities is supposed to be great...and while he can be very irritating, he does have a great voice and has been involved in some incredible music)
How Low Can You Go: Anthology of the String Bass 1925-1941 (more amazing musical history from Randy!)
Talking Heads (8 cds of their studio albums with bonuses...and the Stop Making Sense dvd, which we watched and loved it...i saw them in 1982 in Toronto, and it was one of the best shows i've ever seen)

Speaking of dvds - that's for the next post!!

Thanks again Randy, you've made an old music freak extremely happy!!
*******************

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Mr. Harvey!

Harvey Dog said...

And a Merry Christmas to you as well Mr. Rodwell!