Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Music Diary: Gentle Giant, Maneige, Wertmuller Project & Paul McCartney!!!

MUSIC DIARY

The excitement never stops here at the old carnival, and to increase the excitement that little bit more, I present to you the first and (hopefully) not the last one of Harvey Dog's Music Diary!!

Yep - I decided to comment on the last few cds (no matter how embarrassing!) I've listened to on my mp3 player and let the muse guide my fingers over the keyboard.

Gentle Giant: Philipshalle - April 1971 Dusseldorf, West Germany opening for Colosseum. I've been a fan of Gentle Giant ever since I was first introduced to them in high school by JK [aside: thanks JK!]. I don't listen to them as much as I did in my high school daze, but I'm still a fan. This concert has lousy sound, but is the earliest Gentle Giant live show I've found. Still - 38 years later from a portable tape recorder? I'll take it, rabbit, I'll take it! What stood out for me was Gary Green's harder guitar sounds, a really cool sound from the violin, and a bit of a harder edge than the Giants were noted for. *** for fans * for initiates (start with the studio albums!)
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
ahhhhhh....the dog is looking adorable passed out on the floor beside me...

Maneige: Les Porches (1975) Here's some prog from Montreal in the mid-70s. Only recently heard about them. First listen. Some beautiful stuff here! Worth investigating!!

Currently listening to: 3/3 self-titled lp japan 1973. All I can say is: "Fucking WOW!"

Wertmuller Project - disc 1 of Berlin 2008 at the Quasimodo Club November 2008 with Peter Brotzmann & Keiji Haino!! This is fucking explosive and tore my brain apart...
the mind smiled with delightbrotzmann and haino ready to blow some minds!!!
as sounds wafted through my body
pushing the pollution
out of thoughts
life
cleansing the soul with some awesome playing by everybody involved here.
Peter Evans tp
Peter Brötzmann tarogato/cl/as/ts
Mars Williams sso/as/ts
Keiji Haino g/voc/electr
Marino Pliakas b
Michael Wertmüller d
death metal free-jazz? That's what BigO has to say and I can see the point...also why the fuck do I want to argue with BigO for?!?! Great site for live downloads and political articles!
I am still in my infant stages when it comes to Brotzmann & Haino, but will continue to explore the mind-fields they create...I must...no...we ALL must explore these musicians...it will make us better people intellectually and that makes us more sexually attractive which will reduce hatred thus eliminating the need for warheads and explosive devices when the only explosive device needed is a cd of this wertmuller project then we can love not hate and prosper and grow in harmony and...

[aside: the above paragraph was written under the influence of 3/3 which is freaking me out and a touch of the mary jane]
i've got what in my mouth???
Paul McCartney: Red Rose Speedway (1973) Well - this was definitely a let-down after the Wertmuller Project, but let's not be harsh! This was my first listen to this critically despised album, which is bizarre coming from an early Beatles fan. The album was pretty mediocre. McCartney did bounce back with Band on the Run (1973) & Venus and Mars (1975). His renaissance can be foreshadowed from the bonus cuts on this cd edition. I mean "Hi Hi Hi" is a great rock'n'roll song, that must have kicked live!! I'd say **1/2 for the original album & *** with the bonus cuts.

Well, there you have it! I will now go back to freaking out with 3/3...from Japan!
****************************

No comments: