Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Music Diary: Daevid Allen & the University of Errors, Mittelwinternacht and Jandek!!!!

Music Diary

Here are the last 3 cds I've listened to today.

Daevid Allen & the University of Errors: Melkweg 2006 (2006) A live show from the lovable stoned pixie himself, the brilliant Daevid Allen. Excellent show with a few Soft Machine covers.

Mittelwinternacht: Mittelwinternacht (1971) I love saying the name of this band
over and over
and over
until I'm laughing like a maniac while the music hovers in the background always ready to pounce.
First time listen - really enjoyed it, and another fine example of excellent krautrock
and the name totally ROCKS!

Jandek: On the Way (1988)
OK Mole...you're right!
Jandek's brilliant!! I love this cd!!
I would either consider this:
a) A perfect introduction to the world of Jandek. It's accessible in..ya know, a Jandek sort of way. "Message to a Clerk" actually rocks! The blues is the basis for this collection and it certainly keeps the music focused.
or
b) As I gain more exposure to his music I'm finally "getting" it, and in the same way I find Captain Beefheart totally accessible after 30 years of making my life better...
[aside: I actually picked up a 0.49 cent 8-track of "Unconditionally Guaranteed", when I was 14 in 1976 on holiday in the States and just starting my obsession with hearing everything at least once. This was my first listening experience of one of my Top 10 favs of all-time - Captain Beefheart.]
...I find myself feeling very comfortable in Jandek's world, and one I look forward to continue visiting on a regular basis.
Wow!! Was that almost a comparison of Jandek to Captain Beefheart (I think?)...
Not Jandek's official home page nor Corwood's, but rather a fan site - paraphrasing big_bruce.
******************

Holy shit! Plastic People of the Universe: Pasijove (1978) just started and it's sounds fucking incredible!! later...
******************

No comments: