Thursday, February 17, 2011

Music: Recent Web Discovery!! Sugarmegs - live concerts and bootlegs!!

I was mindlessly searching the web for some musical goodies to enjoy, when I accidentally stumbled upon SugarMegs Audio.

This site has a HUGE searchable database of live shows and bootlegs from --- damn near everybody! I was almost expecting old Hated Uncles shows. The files are .wma (Windows Media Audio) are small, don't eat up all your bandwidth. You can listen or download by right-clicking & doing the old "Save Target as..." link. None of the files (as far as I can tell) are official recordings. There are live shows & bootlegs [aside: they call em Liberated Bootlegs - I guess since they are shared freely, and no one is making a profit off the artist].

A couple of other things...you download only one wma file per show or bootleg, no matter how long that show or bootleg is. So, you won't be able to burn any shows over 80 minutes. I don't burn cds anymore, so no prob for me. It may be nice to break up the file so you can listen to smaller segments of the show, BUT I ain't gonna complain!! Down the line, I may get some software that will allow me to split the file. When I get my new record player (to rip my old lps to digital - and save a shit load of money when we move!), maybe the Audacity software I'll be using will allow me to split files? Not a huge priority for me, so I'll wait.

some shows I've downloaded to give you a sample of the goods

Pharoah Sanders - 2 shows. One from 1968 and one from 1971.

Tangerine Dream - lots of the Tangerine Leaves & Tangerine Tree etree releases. I really like Tangerine Dream. Will they move into the top tier of my fav krautrock artists??? They have a chance now.

Pink Floyd - 3 shows & boots from the Syd era. I'm as big a Pink Floyd fan as I've ever been, so will be checking out lots more of their live stuff. I want to check the Syd era out in a bit more detail.

Mott the Hoople - 3 shows from their punky rocking your fucking house down era of 1970 & 1971. and there was a 1975 ian hunter show as well!

The Kinks - lots of shows I'll be checking out later...i started with a few shows from 1969 to 1977.

The Guess Who - there are around a dozen shows from the 70s, so i grabbed all the ones i hadn't exposed my ears too...i'm a proud guess who fan!!

Parliament-Funkadelic - i've had no luck locating old funkadelic shows, but there's one from the sugar shack in 1974, and a 3 cd boot of unreleased stuff...as creem magazine once said: "boy howdy!!"...or something like that...wasn't boy howdy a beer or was that a detroit joke that went over my then-adolescent head?

Flo & Eddie - i have a soft spot in my heart for the turtles and flo & eddie, so was thrilled to see a few shows from 70s flo & eddie on here...also lots of zappa as well...

There's not much here in the way of krautrock or japrock, but there are a couple of Ghost shows, tons AMT, 1 les rallizes; and for the krautrockers, there's an agitation free show, a can show...and the tangerine dream i mentioned...some damo suzuki shows...so not a lot...but there are a few gems...i'll continue hunting...

There's lots of jazz on here for you jazzbos...ive d/l some coltrane shows...not heard enough of his 65-66 live stuff...lots of miles...thelonius is on here...fuck, even oscar peterson has some shows on here!!!

the bottom line?
the shows vary in quality - all the way from unlistenable to soundboard quality - at a low bitrate, but low bandwidth, it's free and a great way to discover and re-discover tons of musicians and find some shows that you've heard about, but never heard...it's an amazing site, i love the internet, now get outta here i got some surfing to do motherfuckers!!!!!!
************************

No comments: