Sunday, October 21, 2007

Iggy Pop: Live in San Fran 1981 DVD - thoughts

Iggy with his cool hat in SF 1981...from the video
Just finished watching Iggy Pop: Live in San Fran 1981 and here's some thoughts and shit about it.
&&&&&&&

The Igster is looking very punk'n'roll in his very cool leather hat and jacket...and garters!

Lots of songs from the dire "Party" album...all sound better live.

Clem Burke is a fucking drumming maniac...he sounds awesome.

The crowd's bunched in tightly at the front, but overall stay relatively calm. No hardcore slam dancing or stuff. As Iggy says at the end: "Thank you...you've been pleasant."

"Dum Dum Boys" is my fav performance on this. Iggy seems more into this one. It's almost as if he's trying to channel the energy of the dum dum boys.

Iggy looks as if he's going to occasionally nod off throughout, but he manages to pull himself back into some rock'n'roll energy...usually by going near Clem Burke and getting into his banging the shit out of the drums.

Strange to see Carlos Alomar here. He seems to be having a good time, and sounds pretty good.

Iggy actually stays on the stage throughout the duration of the show!!! If this is the whole show it was pretty short. Around 50 minutes (including encores).

"Rock & Roll Party" sounds much better live. So did "I Need More".

This was near the end of the 1981 tour, so Iggy seems pretty exhausted (and also in a bit of a bad mood...but not in an exciting way). At 34 I'm sure the booze and drugs were starting to wipe him out. I know when I was 34, that was when the booze was starting to wear on me...and I certainly wasn't at Iggy's level of addictions!

Iggy seemed totally bored by "Lust for Life".

It was fascinating watching Iggy trying to get into it...you could tell he means it, man, but he was at the age where the energy seemed to be sapping out of him. After reading his bio, this was a time when he was hitting the bottle pretty hard...and who knows what else! At 34 it's going to catch up to you. Thankfully, he worked through his addictions and retrieved some of that lost energy.

Summary: Iggy always fascinates me, and this was worth the $6 I paid for it. I wouldn't pay more than $10-15 for it, unless you're an Iggy completist. It's nice to have this footage, and the band is pretty rocking and it is neat to see Iggy in a bar atmosphere. Where did this show take place? I mean besides San Francisco...at times I thought it was outdoors because you could see Iggy's breath every so often, and I could have sworn I saw insects flying around the stage...but, other than that it seemed to be in a bar, and there was no other indication it was outdoors. Weird.

Watching the trailer of Iggy & The Stooges Live in Detroit from 2005, was a revelation. At 58, Iggy was way more into it, and the energy level was much higher! Even though I slagged "The Weirdness" , there's no doubt that Iggy & The Stooges still have it live! In fact here's Iggy & The Stooges from 04/17/2007 at the Fillmore in Denver doing a great version of "I Wanna Be Your Dog". thanks eddieroot.


*********

No comments: