Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Poetry: untitled nightmare #1

untitled nightmare #1


dip your toes into the water
come on...just a little
it won’t hurt
...I promise


the words change
into human and animal form
a caricature of evil

come on
jump in
answer the door
you fucking idiot!!

I pull myself off the couch
and take in my surroundings…
my head is heavy
and my body is
weighing me down.

the ringing of the
doorbell
changes
to the sound of alarms
alarms all around
alarms on the street
alarms are pounding
inside my head
...as the nurse takes my temperature

there there
the doctor will see you in a bit
don’t be afraid

…but I am terrified

one doctor walks in
then a second
then a third
before I know it
I am surrounded
by men in masks
with very sharp instruments
gleaming in the
surgical light

I scream an alarm bell
but no sound escapes
from my mouth
…I scream silently
as the masked men
start putting memories
from my past
into my gaping mouth

I start to drool,
and roll over
to turn off the alarm
ringing beside my bed…

I shake my head
come on
get it together
it’s alright
I’ll be fine

I put my feet on the floor
which quickly changes to quicksand
and I fall
I fall
I fall
into the eternity of my nightmares…
***********

No comments: