Thursday, October 18, 2007

Teacher-on-Call getting high to Can, dreaming of 4 tracks, and a bunch of recent listens

the amazing mr. harvey teaches the brats!!!
Teacher-on-Call?? But I hate kids!!! Well, I guess I don't hate kids as much as I thought.

I've been called in a couple more times for subbing and it's not bad...which puzzles me, because I thought it would be something that would drive me around the bend. Thanks to my friend Dave in China who gave me some great advice, I'm handling it really well. He told me to talk to them like I talked to him as we were getting high. Bingo!!!! More relaxed, more humour, don't let the bad apples ruin your stone (or $150/day!!!!) and just look at it all as another job. Hell, the kids are my co-workers and I've dealt with lousy co-workers all my life [aside: who hasn't!?].

I guess after a couple of breakdowns and jobs that have included putting fucking caps on fucking aerosol cans for 10 hours standing on a concrete floor makes it all seem alright. I mean...who gives a shit?! It's a job and I've had worse jobs (especially after returning to school...go figger...)

But I tell ya...I wish I could harness the energy of grade 8's in phys-ed at the end of the day, and put all that energy into doing creative things. I'd have a few books done, have some art hanging in galleries, have a few cds out, be a virtuoso harmonica player and be in great fucking shape.

One of life's cruel ironies: Losing that zestful energy as you get older and could really use it to accomplish specific things. (At least for me)
&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Can: Canobits 1968-1977 - a 4 cd boot I found on the net that includes rare stuff from different phases of their career. I'm on cd2 and the 35 minute "Tagothrowaway" with Damo wailing away and Karoli also wailing on guitar sums up why I love these guys so much. Experimental with real instruments and a foot in the camp of rock and a foot in the camp of avante-garde...if I had to do it all again...no no NO NO fuck NO!!! Don't look back Bobby D said and Bobby D was correct.

One of the (many) reasons why I want that FT job is so I can afford to get a 4 track set up on my computer and to start doing...weird things...honest things...fun things...learning harmonica is a blast (and I'm way in the beginner stage), I want a guitar, some percussion shit...I've got my words...I'm continually learning how to use my voice...man, this sounds sooooo good to me...

then I can go on myspace and get friends...hahahahaha....hello Mr. Murdoch....

Anyhow, Can are amazing and no one jams like these guys...to me they blow everyone away when it comes to jamming...
my head is there
im the guy in the corner
a joint in my hand
nodding my head
getting lost in the
waves of music
floating through the air
###################
nurse with wound live amongst the lights
Recent Listening and Brief Commentary

Nurse with Wound: Chance Meeting on a Dissecting Table (1979) wow!!! industrial krautrock for industrialized surgery...wild and awesome...

Lindsey Buckingham: Under the Skin (2006) blah...obviously there's some nice guitar playing but no song captured me and his voice seemed to drain energy away from the songs...2 1/2 stars for the ex-mac in his mansion on the hill...

Soundtrack of Our Lives: Behind the Music (2001) I remember digging "sister surround" on the radio when it came out and this is a good cd...nice melting pot of beatles pop and pink floyd psych...some excellent stuff, but one of those curses of the cd age...a little too long...cut it down to 10 songs 20 minutes a side and you could have a real classic...instead it loses steam after "21st century rip-off"...3 1/2 stars for some great tunes...

Beggar's Opera: Act One (1970) cool cover, but a bit too proggy for me...if you're a proghead though, check it out...not bad...

Erna Schmidt: Live 69-71 (2000) man, i tell ya, i search the net and keep finding out about these amazing obscure krautrock bands...this is fantastic!!!! almost zappa like in its jazz rock fusion intensity with some tull flute thrown in and an overall excellence of playing and material...all instrumental and all great!!! who the hell were these guys???

Guess Who: It's Time (1966) yep...early guess who with chad allen still around but burton c starting to take over...this is great early canadian garage rock and highly enjoyable...im a guess who softie and growing up they were one of my fav bands, and i still like listening to them...even if burton c can be irritating in some of his vocal mannerisms (not his voice though, which is fantastic)...

Graham Parker: Don't Tell Columbus (2007) and Richard Thompson: Sweet Warrior (2007) 2 old pros still putting out good consistent stuff...nothing experimental or wild, just solid shit from 2 pros who know their craft...the guru really enjoyed seeing rt live a few weeks ago (damn...i wish i was there!!!)...if you're a fan the new ones won't disappoint...

Daevid Allen: Now is the Happiest Time of Your Life (1977) mr gong gone solo...quirky different irreverent fun...the gong world is a fun strange place to enter and is highly recommended...
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

No comments: