Friday, November 25, 2005

The debut of Guru T-Lu, introducing the Mole and Bob Dylan camps out


There's a huge argument going on about Jandek on my friend Mole's newsgroup. There's a link to his page on Creative Radio Central and if you send him an email you can join his outrageous newsgroup of music nuts of all sorts. I really need to listen to some Jandek. Sounds fucked-up, which can be a positive, so I'm hoping I enjoy it. We'll see.
***

OK. Time for some Guru T-Lu advice. A reader writes in and says: "I've been invited to a fabulous soiree. My fabulous crush, a record store owner [Harvey Dog aside: snicker snicker] needless to say will be present. Still wearing the brusises from my last relationship, with my pummelled ego laying splat on the floor, I'm afraid of making a fool of myself. How do I handle the pre-date jitters."

Guru T-Lu's answer (The answer is applicable to both men and women, gay, straight, transgender, bisexual) : Here's how you do it. You face the situation from as many angles as possible. You say will my crush be there? Yes he will be there. Accept that as a reality. You may feel nervous. Accept that you are nervous. Ask yourself if you are hopeful that your crush might turn out to be a good person. Of course you are. So be happy knowing that you just might have the opportunity to meet a good person that night. Ask yourself if you bear him any ill-will and of course you don't, so if you see him, approach him with kindness and good intentions and a manageable quantity of booze and i [Harvey Dog aside: I hate people who use small i's. She made me keep it in] assure you all will go well.
I hope this reaches you in time. Good Luck!


Thank you Guru T-Lu !
***

I'm listening to Mel Brown & the Homewreckers: Homewreckin' Done Live (2001) borrowed from the Public Library. Thanks. Sounds quite good. Solid, basic, but good blues playing. Nice version of "Hey Joe" playing now. First time listening to it, so too early for the lameass star system.
***

I was just telling Guru T-Lu, what a genius she is. I must want to get laid tonight.
***

From the description of "Seven Days" from Bob Dylan's "The Bootleg Series Vols. 1-3":"At the end of March 1976, Eric Clapton was recording his LP No Reason To Cry in Shangri La Studios, Malibu. Bob Dylan decided to drop by for a while. As Clapton recalled, 'He was just hanging out. He was actually living in a tent in the bottom of the garden. He would keep sneaking into the studio to find out what was going on, trying to catch me in there.' Ron Wood, who was later to record 'Seven Days' himself (on Gimme Some Neck), was also hanging out at Shangi La (the former bordello featured briefly in The Last Waltz). He remembers it well: "That's where I got 'Seven Days' from. He played it to me and Eric in the studio, and he said to Eric, 'You can have this song if you want it'. And I took him up on it and Eric didn't.'"
Now....here a few things I consider odd about this.


?!?! Dylan was living in a tent at the bottom of a garden??? A tent? Was he broke? Why would no one invite him to crash at their home??!?! Dylan had to sneak into the studio??? What? To get by the security guards? Was he banned from the studio? Was he just considered the bum living in a tent in the garden??!?! And do musicians just hang out at studios? It doesn't sound like Ron Wood was recording at the studio...just 'hanging out'.?!?! And who else but Dylan would give away such a masterpiece as "Seven Days" and only perform it 5 times himself?

***

I borrowed John Denver's "Definitive All-Time Greatest Hits" from the library. Don't laugh. Whatever. I like the cd title. Anyway, Guru T-Lu said, "You know John Denver committed suicide." I replied: "No no. He died in a plane crash." I looked up on all-music (I got 3 annoying pop-ups while surfing all-music...what the fuck is that all about?) to see who was right. All-music states: "Tragedy struck on October 12, 1997, when his experimental aircraft suddenly crashed, killing him instantly. " I couldn't help but think that Guru T-Lu was right. Another rock'n'roll suicide!
***

No comments: