Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Guru T-Lu cooks it up in the kitchen, Kevin Ayers, spontaneous poetry and Bryan Ferry meets Charlie


I go down to the kitchen and Guru T-Lu is cooking up a pot of goodness. Tastes amazing, so here's a new feature. "Guru T-Lu's Food for Stoners"!!

Here's the recipe: Throw a bunch of frozen vegetables and a can of tuna into a large pan, add half a jar of Cheese Whiz and voila! A delight of the senses!
***

Hey, check out the picture. It was taken by Guru T-Lu and you should check out her Flickr site. Follow the link to the right or click here.
***

Kevin Ayers: Whatevershebringswesing (1971) The first time I've heard this and it's pretty good. I only recently got a couple of his cds. I bought "Dr. Dream" (1974) *** and like it fine enough. This one sounds stronger, which seems to be the prevelant critical opinion.

I also remember buying "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock Music" about 1975 or 1976 (amazingly my parents didn't question the purchase: there was nudity in it!), and there was a large picture of the cover of "Dr. Dream" which I thought was amazingly cool for being 13 or so...and raised Catholic! Sort of freaked me. Kevin Ayers official home page.
***

I love that article in Uncut (the last page...usually critics drunken, stoned escapades with rock stars) where the writer, Marti Jones, writes about meeting Bryan Ferry in 1978 and ranting and raving wired on "charlie". It seems like Bryan Ferry is a gentlemen, since he was always careful to share his "charlie".
***
spontaneous poetry

rushing the wave
of sound
neanderthals delight
in their own
shadow....

wasted scoundrels
dream of Moroccan opium

asleep in their dreams
a wave
...........passes them by
***
Computer Interlude

I can't believe that in VS.Net 2003 that when you query using the DISTINCT keyword, that your memo field is truncated to 255 characters!? This causes quite the problem for me at work, since I have a large complex query (joining 6 tables, searching many fields with criteria), and one of the fields I want to display from this query on the web is, of course, a memo field. I thought it would be a simple workaround, instead it's a problem that Microsoft itself recognizes. I hope this is fixed in VS.Net 2005.

Had to vent. Now back to our advertised content.
***

Bryan Ferry: Let's Stick Together (1976) **** In Your Mind (1977) *** I'm certainly a fan, and I would recommend Let's Stick Together to any early Roxy fan, since half the album is old Roxy covers. I'm not sure he betters any, but they are all interesting and still great songs. Very enjoyable. In Your Mind is actually the album he was promoting in that Uncut article. It's good. Solid professional shit, but then again...he was on the charlie. Bryan Ferry's official web site.
***

Just ran across a good site about music censorship in America. Considering a marching band in the United States was banned from doing an instrumental (?? what the fuck ??) version of "Louie Louie", you know censorship is alive and well. I think the New York Mets sort of forcing (persuading) Carlos Delgado to stand for "God Bless America" is a form of censorship itself. Wither gone the days of protest? Check out Parental Advisory: Music Censorship in America. I'll even try to find a copy of the book.
***

No comments: