Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Lou Reed cries and Shawn Phillips uncorks a classic

Drugs are good, drugs are good
Lou Reed: Legendary Hearts (1983) **** Guru T-Lu while listening to "Home of the Brave": "Lou, you don't have to cry about it." Harvey Dog replies: "Lou was an emotional gay man, and he was married at the time. Of course he had to cry." Lou Reed's official website.
***

Shawn Phillips: Second Contribution (1971) ***** I really like Shawn Phillips a lot. I'm still trying to figure out why I like him so much. There's some kind of connection, I think, as to the same reason why I like Ted Neeley in Jesus Christ Superstar. (Even though Shawn Phillips seems more serious as a working musician). His website is pretty cool to. (Shawn Phillips', not Ted Neeley's...I wonder if Ted Neeley has a website? ummm.) Shawn Phillips official website. I have two other lps by S.P, and I think they are both great.

Guru T-Lu walking in at the beginning of "The Ballad of Casey Deiss". "Johnny Cash?" I reply: "No. Shawn Phillips 1971." "I think somebody ripped off Shawn Phillips." Referring to "Hurt"

Oh, fuck it. I had this rated 4 1/2, but now I think it's a fucking classic. 5 stars.

And he looks like Jesus Christ.

***

R.L. Burnside: Come On In (1998) ***1/2 What a great sound on this record. I bought this at a really cool used cd and record (I didn't have a record player then...ahh) in Toronto. Shit, I wish I could remember the name. (Guru T-Lu remembered 1 hour after I wrote this...Paramusic). It was on Dundas E, about 3 blocks up from Yonge. Great store. They had all these Russian imports with 2 records on it and bonus cuts. I got The Beatles (early), T. Rex (early), even Grand Funk, The Animals. I would have eventually got more, but we moved to BC.

This album rocks real good. I listen to this one regularly....in comparison (and that I have about 2,500 lps and cds). R.L. Burnside web site.

Well well well....gotta get his cd with Jon Spencer Blues Explosions (I like em).
***

Nothing much of interest today...(finally) got a big VS project onto a FrontPage web site with the help of Paul Stokes. Thanks Paul. Also bought a cool skull t-shirt from Rock Your World. I'm fucking 43. Guru T-Lu and I are chilling tonight. It's down to -18 celsius tonight here in Prince George, BC.
***

I thought about Captain Beefheart today. We should all think of Captain Beefheart at least once a day. Here's an awesome Captain Beefheart site. The Captain Beefheart Radar Station
***

The Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (2002) *** Really creative catchy experimental pop. I actually prefer listening to the early Lips stuff. The first Flaming Lips I got was the "Finally the Punk Rockers are Taking Acid" 3 cd set. The 1st 3 albums and bonus cuts. I love that raw youthful energy of it all. Especially "Jesus Shooting Heroin". Obviously a Catholic thing.

Yeh.
***
Poobah and Guru T-Lu's foot
Here's a new poem about my dog...Poobah. I'll call it "Yorkie Poms are Really Small"

yorkie poms are really small
not big at all
she's not that bright
her farts stink
and poo gets tangled
in her hair

but still...she turns me on.

No, no, no. I'm sorry. Isn't that an Emerson, Lake & Palmer song?
***

1 comment:

Harvey Dog said...

Thank you very much.