Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Julian Cope, Poobah and a new lame ass star system and Bowie


I wrote about depression for the blog yesterday, but I'm holding off on it. Somehow, it's one thing to write it down, and another to publish it. We'll see. Anyway, speaking of insanity, let's get back to our carnival of music thoughts.

***

Julian Cope: Jehovahkill (1992) **** You hear about somebody for years, and when you finally hear them, it's nothing like you expected. I vaguely remember Teardrop Explodes and "World Shut Your Mouth" and liked what I heard, but maybe not enough to pursue at that time. This past summer I got "Peggy Suicide (1991)" and this one from Randy...once again thanks.

I think this is the dog's breath. And I love dog breath thanks to Poobah our yorkie pom. What a creative and experimental album this is. I like, and may learn to love, his singing. His music is accomplished and driving. I don't know what he's talking about, but it sounds intelligent. Maybe, I'll focus on it super hard one day instead of writing into this blog while it's playing. In fact, there's a lot to love about this album and I highly recommend exploring Julian Cope. I know I'm going to further explore his work. Another note is that from what I remember (and only listening to it twice), that "Peggy Suicide" is even better! Julian Cope's web site.
***

Who else needs to be explored further?? So many. Roy Harper. Cecil Taylor. The Fall.
***

And remember Hawkwind loves you!
***

This Julian Cope album is sorta messing with my mind. "The Tower" is playing now, and I love the spooky overtones. Are his books any good? I'll check out the PG library and see if they have any Julian Cope books. They may. They have an excellent music section. I'm reading Gary Valentine's "New York Rocker" right now. It's ok. Nothing too special. Then again, I was never a huge Blondie fan. I loved Lemmy's book. He strikes me as incredibly sensible. Seriously.
***

Did Julian Cope just say: "Mother, Mother, bah." in a psychotic insane sort of way to end the album? Wow. Now that is a way to end an album! I listened to it 3 times to make sure I heard it right. Once again...Wow.
***

David Bowie: Hunky Dory (1971) *** I've actually never been the biggest fan of "Changes". There. I admit it. However, the rest of this album does it for me. I especially love "Oh! You Pretty Things!", "Life on Mars", "Andy Warhol" and "Queen Bitch". Isn't Bowie sort of pompous in interviews? Like he's got some smug secret that he may let us in on one day. I liked his interviews when he was loaded on "charlie" though.

Note: The day after I wrote this blog up, I reduced Hunky Dory down to 3 stars from 4. I think there's some pretty naff shit going on, but there's some blah stuff there as well, and **** seems a little high.

***

Isn't my new star system lame? I just can't help myself...I'm so ashamed.
***

motherfucker
***

No comments: