Sunday, February 26, 2006

3 dollar headphones rock, Ash Ra Tempel are the best and who really is P U N K?

Picture courtesy of Cassandras Eye. It's about noise and electricity people!!
Here are some new bands that Harvey Dog has been checking out from the package sent by Randy. Randy!!!!!!!!!! Incredible stuff. I got so many cds that I've only had a chance to listen to them at most 2 times...if that. But with my new $3 headphones, I'm listening to lots at work! Gotta get caught up.

Psychic Ills - great stuff...impressed right away.

Gris Gris - both their cds, "gris gris" and "for the season"...both incredible....these guys stood out to me immediately. i've listened to both cds twice. gris gris web page

Six Organs of Admittance - when i listened to this at work it hit me more than the first time i heard it...[listened to it again since i wrote this...sounded even better!]...great stuff
***

Ash Ra Tempel: Join Inn (1973) ****1/2 When an album starts out with freakout guitar playing and you
start
hallucinating within the first 30 seconds.
Well...that's a promising start to an album!

2 tracks, so you know it's classic Ash Ra. Freak'n'Roll is just that. Awesome psychedelic
take me to space man
i'm floating on a
melody of acid guitar
jamming to the moon
this guitar playing is the best

Manuel Gottsching is a genius

The second side takes us to the other side and
soothes
and calms
and it's beautiful...in a really cool way cause there's always something going on...a thought...an idea...it's not noodles noodling away. it's ASH RA FUCKING TEMPEL man!!!!!!!

float on ash ra tempel float on....
Official Ash Ra web site.
***

I have watched the first 1 hour 10 minutes of Punk: Attitude a documentary by Don Letts, and it's been quite enjoyable. The main problem I have with music docs like this...is that you see a 10 second clip and you wish like a motherfucker you could see the WHOLE FUCKING CLIP!!!

I mean...that clip of Lou singing "Waiting for my Man" with that haircut!? I mean...I want the whole clip!

The New York Dolls on Musik Laden! Live on German TV! I have a number of performances on music dvds of bands on Musik Laden (inlcuding MC5!), but not this performance. And it looks awesome.

Suicide are a band I've been meaning to get into for years...and it's about time...their live show looked absolutely incredible and intense and brave...

What's with John Cooper Clarke's teeth?

The Buzzcocks with Howard Devoto still in the band looked great. Always loved The Buzzcocks.

I've always meant to listen to more of those no-wave bands. Especially James Chance, Lydia Lunch (I didn't buy a cd of hers I saw for months at some great used cd store, whose name I can't fucking remember, while living in Oakville - I even had it in my hand twice to buy, but never did much to my regret) and now after this movie Theoritical Girls and DNA.

I'm looking forward to watching the rest. I'll report in later. Over and Out

motherfucker.
***

No comments: