Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Funkadelic teaches us about life and shakes our booties too!!!

Dr. Clintonstein is created and the funk shall never be the same.
***
Funkadelic
***

Introduction:
George Clinton & The P-Funk All-Stars - Toronto 2003 at a Blues Festival. Also saw Richard Thompson (great!), Sara & Teagan (cute) and glimpses of John Hiatt (sounded ok) and The Blind Boys of Alabama (at the same time Richard Thompson was playing! Tough call! They sounded great).

Imagine...the buzz is hitting you just right and then a 20 minute version of Maggot Brain starts the concert. Was it Michael Hampton on guitar? This was at the height of my depression, so this was incredible because the concert took me away from it for awhile. I remember when George Clinton came out after Maggot Brain and some more incredible jamming, and the control he had over the crowd was awe inspiring. He was a master showman...a master ringleader...he was the leader and we were following.

I remember pulling out the 1/2 joint I had left and finishing it off...I was not alone...fuck! The band were smokin' up on stage themselves! George's granddaughter sang a pro-pot rap that was surprisingly really good. Great show, great time. Even the Guru was surprised at how good the show was. She's not quite a funkhead yet, but I'm working on it!
***

Once I heard Funkadelic I was hooked. They are easily one of my top 10 bands...maybe even top 5! Eddie Hazel is one of my fav guitar players. I can't believe I don't have his "Games, Dames and Guitar Thangs" solo album yet!

I also picked up Bootsy's "Blasters of the Universe" 2 cassettes for 0.25 cents!! I listen to it in the car and it's great. So, I'm spreading out my funky wings and ready to dance into the morning light.....................
***

Discography:
Funkadelic (1970) **** Extremely psychedelic...acid funk...only recently got a hold of this one. Thanks Randy! Love it.

Free Your Ass and Your Mind will Follow (1970) ****1/2 Indulgent? An acid trip? Yeh? So what...it's classic Funkadelic. [Note: I'm now listening to this as I'm typing this the next day, and I am so loving it I'm upping my grade by 1/2*! "Funky Dollar Bill" is my all-time fav song.]

Maggot Brain (1971) ***************** This is one of my all-time favorite albums. PERIOD...Absolutely riveting. I even love "Wars of Armageddon" which is incredibly


OUT

...............................THERE

America Eats Its Young (1972) ***1/2 Sounds like some bad trips were starting to happen..still powerful in (many) spots and the intro of Bootsy to the mix. And Bernie becoming more prominent.

Cosmic Slop (1973) ****1/2 I think this is underrated. It's a classic. The title track is one of the best Funkadelic songs.

Standing on the Verge of Getting It On (1974) ***1/2 Only recently got it, so maybe underrating it.

Let's Take it To the Stage (1975) **** Same with this, though I like this a bit better...so far.


Hardcore Jollies (1976) **** This is some solid rockin' funk. Not much variation to the sound of the cd, but that's also a strength...it don't fuckin' let up.

Tales of Kidd Funkadelic (1976) *** Somewhat erratic...still glad I got it though.

One Nation Under a Groove (1978) ***** The last classic Funkadelic. Where "Hardcore Jollies" had a sameness of sound, this one's all over the place. And it's awesome. "Who Says a Funk Band Can't Play Rock?!" is one of my all time favs. It rocks, it makes you want to dance like

an idiot
thinking they can dance
and you want to play air guitar....awesome!

Uncle Jam Wants You (1979) *** I find this disappointing. It's more dancefloor oriented, so it's just not to my taste.

The Electric Spanking of War Babies (1981) ***1/2 The end of the line. It's good though, and better than a lot of reviews I've read. I think it's a bit more funk oriented than dance oriented...wait a minute...

LIKE I FUCKING KNOW A GOD-DAMNED THING ABOUT DANCE MUSIC!!!

So...if you hear me say "dance-oriented" ever again...send me to hell...
***

Miscellaneous (comps, archival releases, etc.):
Music for Your Mother (1993) ***** The first Funkadelic Harvey Dog laid his greedy paws upon. See story below. What can I say? I absolutely LOVE this fucking cd.

Live: Meadowbrook Rochester 1971 (1996) ***** i can testify i can testify and the guitars wail and the singing becomes gospel and the acid heads are alive and well and kicking up a storm and i love this cd and i love Eddie Hazel's guitar playing and i always get freaked during this cd and i ramble on and forget to capitalize...i am freaking out listening to this RIGHT NOW as i am typing this...
***
You can grow the weirdest things these days! TOP 10 Funkadelic Records in Order!!!

10. America Eats Its Young
9. Let's Take it to the Stage
8. Hardcore Jollies
7. Funkadelic
6. Free Your Ass and Your Mind Will Follow
5. Cosmic Slop
4. One Nation Under a Groove
3. Live at Meadowbrook
2. Music for Your Mother

1!! MAGGOT BRAIN
***

Web Sites

Official George Clinton web site - The maestro's own web...funky!

New Funk Times - An up-to-date site with lots of links and info on all things funky!

The Motherpage - Unbelievably, this hasn't been updated since 1997 as far as I can tell, yet there is a wealth of information and reviews there...up to 1997.

One Nation - Another site not updated. Closed since 2001, but again, there's a bunch of old info there.

Funkadelic: The Afro-Alien Diaspora - A cool Funkadelic record review page.
***

I've never told anybody this...There have been a few times when I've ordered music that I've been sick the day they've arrived. Which means I get them earlier and can start listening immediately!!! And I'm hardly sick. 5 days a year tops!

The first time was in high school (25 lifetimes ago!) and I first ordered music from Columbia House (8-Tracks!!!!!). I left school after 1 hour because I was sick (maybe?!) and my Mom picked me up and on the way home she told me the 8 tracks had arrived! I somehow knew it.

My first online order was placed with "Music Boulevard" (anyone remember them - I loved their web site), and it was delivered while I was home sick from work. It included "Music for Your Mother", Mott the Hoople's 1st...and can't remember the others.

I'm pretty sure there was one more time with BMG...but I only got the card and had to go pick it up at the post office. That's why it wasn't quite so memorable.

Well...that was kinda boring.
***

Funkadelic are the best and I highly recommend you get funkensteined
and funkedelicized
and funky down to your toenails
and I hope George Clinton doesn't pee on you.
***

No comments: