Thursday, February 02, 2006

Harvey's Dog is playing with her bone, Red Krayola and Silver Apples make beautiful colours and Harvey Dog responds to comments

I did not know that my Grade 12 Physics teacher was in The Red Krayola. Cool.
Harvey Dog is playing with his dog...

ah!!!!!!!!!!

You thought I was playing with something else? Sick minds. The Bah is chewing these rancid (not the band!) old bones so I thought "what better time is there than now, to do some blogging?"

***

I am listening to Red Krayola's "God Bless the Red Krayola and All Who Sail It" and when I went to AMG to get some quick info on it, I was shocked to see it was released in 1968!!!???

1968!

WTF! This could be released 10 years into the future and still sound fresh and vibrant and...probably still sound ahead of its time. Is it just me? Am I nuts? This was the first time I've listened to these guys and I thought (the cd is now over)...I don't know what I thought, but it sure as fuck was NOT 1968!

Amazing. Here's an unofficial
Mayo Thompson - Red Krayola web site.
***

And now...
Oscillations Oscillations Oscillations Oscillations Oscillations Oscillations Oscillations Oscillations Oscillations Oscillations Oscillations Oscillations Oscillations Oscillations Oscillations

Would you accept an apple from this man on Hallowe'en? The Silver Apples: The Silver Apples (1968) and Contact(1969). I knew more about these guys, so I knew they were around in the late 60s, but this is another 1st time listen.

I am now freaking out....

How much more incredible music is out there?! I love this. These guys (a duo) were even more ahead of their time than The Red Krayola!

Cool interview with Simeon from Silver Apples from 1996.
Another interview with Simeon this one from 2000
.

Written while listening to
The Silver Apples'
"The Dancing Gods"
- lyrics from song used

I am listening to
The Silver Apples

My mind
racing
pounding

marching
left-right
left-right

one step
two steps
three steps

I hear the drumming
pounding, growing
intensifying

The Dancing Gods
dance to the drum

come to us come to us
you can hear them calling

and I can't believe
that this was
recorded in

19 60 fucking eight!
***

Hey...can someone tell me what is up with this site? http://www.theredkrayola.com/? Is this a mind fuck or what?
***

Response to Comments: Thanks for even more comments. I think I'll respond to comments (if there are any) at the end of my blogs instead of within the comments in the post. I'm getting old, so sometimes I can't remember what post the comment was under.

Vaspers: So sorry about the job. That sucks! A better job should be right around the corner. I can tell you're listening to the right music for this situation. Rocket From the Crypt are great! They rock! I need some myself. I love Moby Grape. Do you have Skip Spence's "Oar"? Classic. The Germs were the best band in "Decline of Western Civilization" (1981). Darby Crash was hilarious, but it's sad his lifestyle led to such a young death. And I am very ashamed of just getting into Tangerine Dream. I have heard their music before (from Mole's CFMU radio show...I also remember hearing Can on it as well...great show!), but there really is no excuse. Good luck!

AR: Simply Saucer has served many purposes...all of them very enjoyable. But when it's going for $100 (is that right Mole?) on ebay, purposes can quickly change! Hope you and everybody are doing well.

Mole: That's a shame. So why not start your own blog? It's free, it's easy, and you can talk about whatever you want! Go for it!

To the gentleman whose 2 posts I can't locate (exactly why I'm doing it this way)...thanks!
***

I am now getting funky with Betty Davis. Music is the best....that went by way too fast. Betty Davis was married to Miles and I believe was a girlfriend of Jimi Hendrix. This sounded great. I needed more funk in the collection.

Tangerine Dream is up next...starting from the beginning: "Electronic Meditation". Thanks to Randy this is a night of first listens. I am freaking out too much...I must rest.
***

3 comments:

A. R. said...

Ebay can transform your crap into, apparently, really expensive crap...for the right buyer.

I'm not implying Simply Saucer is crap. I just found out some things of mine are a lot more valuable that they have any right to be. If Simply Saucer is $100 (or more) on Ebay then it has far better uses.

Everyone is well, by the way. Glad you're still stirring it up in the mountains!

steven edward streight said...

Atari teenage Riot is the next artist I'm going to spend money on. Love that B sides and rarities aluminum can packaging, so tech, so clean.

I dislike Tangerine Dream after their 5th LP. "Atem" and "Zeit" are my favorites.

Silver Apples is one of my faves, as you well know. They have a couple more LPs, after the 1960s material.

I emailed Simeon's, no, the other guy's ex-fiance back and forth, telling her how ahead of their time they were, ranting and gushing like mad.

I am also very fond of Nick Drake, Soft Machine, 50 Foot Hose, Pierre Henry, Pere Ubu, Ultimate Spinach (first two), Beacon Street Union, HP Lovecraft, Mandrake Memorial.

Why is Jethro Tull's "This Was" and Iron Butterfly's "Ball" so good even today?

I like how you are astonished at the old 1960s electro hippy bands.

Get AMM, United States of America, Gong, The Hobbits, Tonto's Expanding Headband, and Incredible String Band.

Flying Saucer Attack "New Lands" stills sounds as soft dreamy creepy today as ever, except I'm hoping. Cant find any FSA good stuff lately anymore.

My old high school buddy in Hollywood is into WFMU, and our band Camouflage Dance played a long concert there in the late 80s.

He is raving about Yan Tomita. See the WFMU blog for details and dls.

Harvey Dog said...

Haven’t seen the Atari packaging for "Redefine the Enemy". Sounds very cool.

I've heard similar things about Tangerine Dream...that they went more "new age" after the first few albums. But the 1st few albums are great! I loved "Electronic Meditation", so I’m looking forward to "Zeit" and "Rubycon". The other 2 I have.

Silver Apples are awesome, and I listened to "snippets" (30 second tastes from amg) of their 2 late-90s cds, and thought they're definitely worth looking into. You talked to Danny Taylor’s ex-fiance? Cool. You are totally right...they were way ahead of their time, and it sounds like they still remain unique. True artists!

I love (and have cds) of Nick Drake, Soft Machine and Pere Ubu. I am a huge "mark" for Soft Machine. Love Robert Wyatt’s solo stuff as well. I’ve always wanted to hear Ultimate Spinach, HP Lovecraft and Pierre Henry. They all sound right up my alley. The others you mentioned, still need to be explored.

I love Jethro Tull! They are sentimental favs as well, since they were my fav band in early high school (a LONG time ago) and I’ve seen them 3 times. I know the quality dropped off after the late 70s, and his voice is shot and it’s more a solo show now and all that, but I just can’t dislike the Tull. Of course, I’m familiar with and heard much of Iron Butterfly (besides the obvious...), but you’ve got me curious to hear "Ball". I’ve just heard songs here and there. Gotta check my record connection!

After checking out AMM on amg, I gotta check these guys out! I have some Gong and ISB and am desiring more. I’ve been wanting US of A since they re-issued it with bonus cuts, but haven’t got it...yet. OK, I gotta check out The Hobbits and Tonto’s Expanding Headband (love the name!). Flying Saucer Attack are a band I’ve enjoyed what I’ve heard (admittedly not much), and just haven’t got any yet.

I’ve just bookmarked WFMU’s blog and will check it out. It looks great.

I used to be bitch about popularity and what’s played on the radio and all that commercial crap, but hey, when you’re in a band doing original shit and not getting anywhere except ridiculed you sometimes go on the offensive. Now, I find it better to ignore the shit I have no interest in and dig deep into all the amazing music that I do love. Once you get going, it’s like a snowball going down the mountain, picking up all the wonderful music on its way. You’ve given me lots of bands to check out in a few comments! Awesome!