Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Today is officially Captain Beefheart day and Don Van Vliet is a genius

No!!! I swear it's raining!!! Rain drops on the evening stage.
Back to the basics, Baby!!!!

While Harvey Dog has been reveling in music fresh to his ears, we must not forget to pay tribute to 3 of the greatest of all-time.

Captain Beefheart....George Clinton....Kevin Coyne. Today I'll write about the Captain with a discography, shorthand rating, my (quick) opinion and some links to further explore the Captain for those still unfamiliar with this genius.
***
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART
***
Introduction: The Captain was a childhood friend of another fav, Frank Zappa, in Cali Cali California...drank a lot of Pepsi...listened to classic blues masters...considered a prodigy as a kid by sculptor Augustinio Rodriguez...listen to "Lost in a Whirlpool" from the late 50s and you can see he was already setting up his template...fucking amazing....played the blues in the mid-60s...started his musical path...quit the music biz in 1982...painted full-time...more respected...fuck the music biz! A TRUE fucking musical genius! And artist!!

I am listening to "Lick My Decals Off, Baby" right now and it is a crime against humanity that this title is not currently in print. Oh...people download illegally???? Imagine that!!!

Bah!!! Anyway, the Captain has left us a musical legacy to enjoy...dissect...live with...fondle...breathe...explore the valleys and canyons of our cobweb infested mind...yours isn't? Good for you. Let's explore the Captain's music.

***
photograph copyright Anton Corbijn - from Radar Station. Beautiful pic.
Discography:
Safe as Milk (1967) *** More bluesy, somewhat more trad (for Beef). Never really got into it, but it's ok. Tentative 1st steps.

Strictly Personal (1968) ??? Just got this and it's been a long time since I've heard it. We'll see. This one divides fans.

Trout Mask Replica (1969) ***** Classic. So original that it will still be original even after it is no longer original. Got me?

Lick My Decals Off, Baby (1970) ***** Easier to digest than Trout, yet still "out there". If you know what I mean. And I know I don't. And you do. And we are all dummies and I love ya!!!! Baby!!!!

The Spotlight Kid (1972) **** A dark heavy blues album. Even the Guru loves "I'm Gonna Booglarize You Baby". It's also one of my favs. And Santa Claus makes an appearance!

Clear Spot (1972) **** A great combo of complexities and straightforward songs that find the Captain nearing the end of his first brilliant era.

Unconditionally Guaranteed (1974) ***1/2 Yes. It's more mainstream. Yes. You could even say he "sold out". Yet...I like it. Maybe cause it was the first Captain I ever got. On 8 track!!! In the USA!!! I was around 14 so it was a nice intro to the Captain's world.

Bluejeans and Moonbeams (1974) ** OK. I admit it. This is the weakest Beefer I've heard. A couple of ok songs, but...blech.

Shiny Beast: Bat Chain Puller (1978) **** A great comeback and the beginning of the second, and unfortunately, last brilliant era of the Cap.

Doc at the Radar Station (1980) ***** An absolute masterpiece. His 3rd best ever after Trout and Lick.

Ice Cream for Crow (1982)
***1/2 The last one and a nice way to end his music career. His voice sounds a bit shot (those nasty cigs), but the music is awesome and his lyrics always intrigue me.
***

Miscellaneous (comps, archival releases, etc.)
Mirror Man (circa 1967) **1/2 Never got into this one. Interesting and worthwhile, but don't listen to it much.

Grow Fins 1965-1982 (1999) ***** I willingly paid $140 Cdn for this and would do so again. A real treat for fans. Unreleased Beefheart??? Where do I sign up!!!

Dust Blows Forward 1966-1982 (1999) **** An excellent comp. Glad to finally have "Hard Workin' Man" from the movie "Blue Collar". Thought it was a good movie too.

I'm Going To Do What I Want To Do: Live 1978 (2000) ***** Got this from Rhino Handmade and it's a great recording of a great live performer during a great creative period. What's not to love?

Railroadism 1966-1981 (2003)
***** I reviewed this previously. Suffice it to say...more unreleased ('til now) live Beefer. Gotta love it!
***
I'm gonna getcha. I'm gonna getcha....hahaha...gotcha!!!
Web Sites and a book!
Captain Beefheart Radar Station - Awesome! The Best! So good it's right next door in my permanent links.

Home Page Replica - Not as active anymore, but still tons of info on the great man.

Electricity - Not updated much, but again...tons of info on the Beef man.

United Mutations - a Zappa site with its own very nice Beefheart page.

Mike Barnes: "The Biography" (2002) - The Captain deserves a much BIGGER and DEEPER book than this, however...I found this to be an excellent read and I'm just thankful that someone spent the time and energy into writing a biography of Mr. Van Vliet. The link is to Amazon, and they have some reviews and samples of the book, and the price is a lot cheaper than what I paid for it. Full price hardcover for $44.95 cdn. It was worth it to me.
***
Go and listen to Captain Beefheart. Now!!! Go!!! It will make you a much better human being. Thank you for your time.
***

No comments: