Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The Band

I'm so fucking pretty...and smart!
The Guru and I were just having a musical disagreement.

I claim that The Band are great, but over-rated.
The Guru thinks they are one of the greatest bands ever.

My arguments:

1) Robbie Robertson sort of irritates me. I mean..have you seen this guy in interviews? Cock in hand or what!? [The Guru had to agree on this one. Well...I didn't say cock-in-hand during the conversation.]

2) They should have rocked more. [The Guru could understand this, but didn't necessarily agree.]

3) Leonard Cohen was a better lyricist than Robbie Robertson. [The Guru said that was a stupid statement.]

The Guru then made the cogent statement that The Band was also special because they stayed true to their roots (Americana) when everyone else wasn't...and they didn't cross over.

EXACTLY!!!!

This nails it. You see. I like the other side better. The crazy wild experimental shit!
***

But don't get me wrong!! I think The Band are great and I've always enjoyed them. They just ain't no Stooges or Can. [aside: when I mentioned Can during the conversation, the Guru complained her stomach was upset.]
***

Lots of fun!!!
***

No comments: