Monday, March 12, 2007

fraction "moon blood" - classic fuzz drenched psych, and The Captain leaves us a Brown Star!!!

how does one search fraction??
Fraction: Moon Blood (1970)
How's this for obscurity...only 200 copies of this were pressed. It became ultra-rare desired by freaks with psychedelic pocketbooks, ensuring it's cd release in 1999.

The singing's over the top [aside: I saw a couple of references comparing the singing to Jim Morrison, but I don't see it. Too convenient.], the playing is solid and driving...even the slower songs are heavy. Then I saw a site that titled their review of the album as "christian hard rock psych"...huh?? Well, looking at the titles and picking out a lyric here and there, I guess that's possible. Certainly rocks harder than "Godspell"!! And harder and more psych than "Jesus Christ Superstar" [aside: which I love and think of as truly psychedelic. Who woulda thought my family would buy a psych album for my confirmation?! Hahahaha...fools!! Started me on the drug-addled life I now live!!!!]. Hmmm. I started listening to the lyrics closer, and they are Christian..i guess, but certainly not drib drab crap.

The bonus tracks have a nice garagey live feel. Too bad they didn't keep it going.
Here's a negative review of this. Someone has it on ebay with a starting bid of $299.00!!!!! That's insane! No bids yet.

Urgh...I always get somewhat fucked up and confused when dealing with Christianity in rock lyrics...being raised Catholic and totally rejecting it...
conclusion: great obscure fuzzy psych - christian lyrics or not!

***
will someone lend Don a fucking dime!!
Captain Beefheart: The Brown Star Sessions (1972)
After buying all of the Cap's legit shit, I've taken my obsession to the boots and live tapes. These are outtakes from "The Spotlight Kid" (1972) and "Clear Spot" (1972) sessions.

There are so many awesome beautiful killer riffs swaying to and fro on this album....is this the best boot yet? could be, rabbit, could be - even counting those "controversial" Ozit releases, which seem to divide Beefheart fans. I'm so greedy for more Beefheart that I'll take what I can get. I paid fucking $160 for Grow Fins!! That's how much of a fanatic I am!!! Or nut!!!!!!

You sense the band is so fucking tight after the dictatorial (and genius!) Trout Mask and Decals albums, that they have developed a natural looseness in their playing now...yet still be tighter than the synapse behind my brow.

hi-lites

omg - where do i start????

right from the first song -
"boogler risin'" is awesome fluidity.
"dirty blue gene" is here in 2 great versions.
"harry irene" is eerie yet calls to me from the waterfront distance.
"kiss" is odd beauty with some wild harmonica playing.
"little scratch" a loose bluesy instrumental of the song.
"your love brought me to life" is catchy as shit...all the instrumentals are!
"pompadour swamp" is better than bluejeans - just add the cap and you've got a $10 suit!
"funeral hill" is deep and dark.
"ok ok ok ok...we get it!!
Every song is incredible and engrossing and gets your brain jumping"
"Yeh...you got it babe!"

Here's some info and more on The Brown Star Sessions (1972). Dammit! The Magic Band deserves more recognition!!!
***

Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame

Hahahaha...did you know the Captain became eligible in 1991 and still isn't in.
Can - eligible 1993 - still not in.
We know they're biased against Canadians since The Guess Who aren't in.

You know - I like R.E.M - but I mean...really??? Before the Beefer!!??
An over-rated Van Halen gets in ahead of Tim Buckley. Yeh, yeh, Eddie's a great guitar player, but doncha need songs? Grand Funk deserves to get in before Van Halen.

Another Question?? What exactly constitutes "rock" these days?
***

No comments: