Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Deviants say Ptooff!!

The Deviants look for groupies. Photo from web site linked in blog.
The Deviants: Ptooff!! (1967) ****1/2 I read Mick Farren's "Give the Anarchist a Cigarette" and loved it. So, having heard of, but never actually heard The Deviants I was anxious to hear them.

OK. After that bit of grammatical awkwardness, let's continue. I also read a review of this album that compared it to Zappa's "Freak Out" which, of course, is a positive.

I wrote a resume yesterday, and have gotten into, the habit, of using too many, commas,,,,,

Forgive, me,

This album starts off awesome with some humorous repartee then into some ridiculous psychedelic guitar playing. Mick Farren isn't much of a singer, but so what? He has a nice stony slur going for him. I tell you, the jam sessions must have been a blast. Imagine the drugs...
* sigh *

Shit, I'm a sucker for this dated psychedelic stuff. Even the "sensitive" ballads. "Charlie" is funky for white boys on speed.

Nothing Man is profound disturbing
fucked up goodness
more and more

And please..............buy some garbage before

we die.

Where are the Deviation Streets of today? Is it in the cutups? The mixing of today? If so, that certainly shows a possible influence of The Deviants on the music of today. Could it be?

This is a penultimate freak classic. Support Mick Farren and The Deviants. Now, I need to get some Pink Fairies.
Really cool Mick Farren site. Last thing: What is Pete Townshend talking about at the end of the album?
***

No comments: