Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Job interviews get in the way of life, Uncut's Essential music of 2005 gets dissected and Iggy Pop gets Stooged

A sample of Harvey Dog's music collection...records, box sets and mags...uncut, mojo, record collector...Fuck the rest!
Harvey Dog had a job interview today...

OK.

Get a load of this. I have to do a 5 minute presentation before the "committee", and as I start (more nervous than I usually am), I notice one of the women staring intently at me. I continue on, and look over and sure enough she's still staring. What the fuck! And I mean intensely. That made it worse so it was a struggle. It got better, but I hope they went with the last impression and not the first impression. [aside: didn't get the job...oh well]

Stupid job interviews. 40 fucking 3 and ya still gotta answer bullshit questions that just beg for bullshit answers. I hate the formal unnatural process...seems so fake...

Then again what do I know? I know nothing. (or something like that from The Monkees "Head" when Peter Tork talks to some non-lu guru)

***
well...this does look pretty retro, but it has lots of new shit as well.
Uncut: The Year's Essential Music: 2005 (2005) Harvey Dog doesn't just listen to music over 30 years old. I am quite aware of new music and am constantly exploring. There is some awesome motherfucking music being made today...ya just gotta find it.

Devendra Banhart: "I Feel Just Like a Child": Who the fuck is this guy? He's great! Actually, I've heard some of his stuff, but this blows me away. I LOVE IT!! I need some Banhart..NOW! Great start to this cd.
Josh Rouse: "Winter in the Hamptons": Pleasant enough. I'm not rushing to the store for this, but I'm not turning the station either.
The National: "Lit Up": This is 2005? Not 1980?
John Cale: "In a Flood": I loved the last Cale, and based on this, I'll love the new one too. A definite pickup.
Bright Eyes: "Another Travelin' Song": One of Guru T-Lu's favs. Rather Dylanesque, which is prob why she likes it so much. I like it too.
Big Star: "Hung up with Summer": Big Star's comeback. Cool song, and if the rest of the album is of this quality it's a worthwhile comeback.
Robert Plant & the Strange Sensation: "Tin Pan Valley": ***SURPRISE PICK*** One reason I love Uncut and MOJO cds, is that you always find something surprising or a new discovery. Well, R. Plant sure isn't a new discovery, but this is a surprise. I FUCKING LOVE THIS SONG! It's ominous, it rawks, it takes you for a ride...it sounds like typical (but good) Plant briefly on the break, but the verses are what makes it. Gotta check out the rest of this album to see if it maintains this quality or the song is some fluky aberration.
Hal: "I Sat Down": Catchy fey pop...actually, quite catchy pop.
Ry Cooder: "Chinito Chinto": Well, it's Ry Cooder so the quality is supreme. I like the concept of this album too.
Check it out.
Antony & the Johnsons: "My Lady Story": What an awesome voice. This guy is good, even though Lou Reed endorses him. [Aside: Lou Reed is in the "Top 10 rock stars that are fun to make fun of" category.] Beautiful song.
My Morning Jacket: "Anytime": The Guru is a fan of these guys. I like them, but not totally sold. It's a little more rockin' than usual, so I like this a bit better. OK. Here's the nitty-gritty. I think they're looking for a direction and if they find it they could become pretty awesome, but then again they could just flounder and be forgotten about quickly.
Sufjan Stevens: "The Man of Metropolis Steals our Hearts": Wow. Very interesting.
Black Mountain: "Don't Run Our Hearts Around": I have this and it's already been talked about on Harvey Dog's blog, but not yet rated. It's good enough for an easy ***1/2, and possibly ****. Cool rocking stuff.
Franz Ferdinand: "Eleanor Put Your Boots On": Hype or not? Still unsure. They're somewhat catchy...but do they have staying power?
The Arcade Fire: "Neighbourhood #2 [Laika]: These guys get great reviews. I've heard a couple of Arcade Fire songs and they just don't stick to me. Over-rated?

fuck Maxim, fuck Rolling Stone, fuck AP...the best mags (NOT counting fanzines) for music come from Britain. MOJO, Record Collector and Uncut to a lesser degree. The cds that come with the MOJO and Uncut are usually great...I'm not sure about the one of Beatles interviews (that was weird), and the Paul McCartney personally picks cd was pretentious and boring.

Temporary fucking Secretary indeed...

Support the mags that love music.


Remember: Maxim would sell your sister's virginity if they could make a nickel off of it.
***

This blog is not connected in any way with MOJO, Uncut or Record Collector.
***


When Iggy Was a Stooge
(song inspired by Neil Young's "When He Was the King" aka "I'm sucking Elvis' cock")

iggy was the best
iggy was a stooge
i loved the way
he smeared
peanut butter
all over his body

in cincinnati
and the
rest as they say

was history
iggy pop is now starring in the off-broadway version of iggy lake
iggy was the best
iggy was a stooge
the crowd all
cheered
when he cut
himself up

and bled
and shot up
in alleyways

with johnny
thunders

iggy was the best
iggy was a stooge
all the women
wanted to
suck his cock
and all the
boys wished
they could

be like him
and the last time
i saw iggy

iggy was the best


iggy was a stooge

***

Iggy Pop's official web site.
***

No comments: