Saturday, March 11, 2006

The mystery of Jandek, Jokers are Cosmic and Ricardo Wang opens the Cage!

Jandek's afraid to open the door!! Open the door...open the door...Jandek's araid to open the door!

Who is this Jandek that inspires such adoration in my friend Mole and a growing number of weirdos and outsider aficionados? To solve this mystery a purchase was made of one of Jandek's cds.

Do you feel the cult like stench in the air?

It's Jandek!!! Jandek's "New Town" (1998)!!!

Oh My God there's a skip in the cd! Ha!
No No No
...it's a primitive recording! Gotta love the authenticity. [Aside: I have no idea if I'm being ironic or not.]

This is my second listen to the cd. "New Town" has a nice spooky ambience to it. Is this the true punk? Definitely outsider. His voice sorta is growing on me...and am I N U T S
or is his voice not that bad?????

I'm beginning to really enjoy this cd in a b-movie creepy dark hallway sort of way. Oh no...I also feel I'm beginning to slide into the Jandek cult in a z-movie satanic empty evil town sort of way.

Is this healthy? Yes, it is.

We NEED outsiders who are unafraid to plough their own fields.
Unafraid to follow the independent trail.
Unafraid to say "fuck you commercial concerns it's about MY art!"
Unafraid to say "this is my shit and it may be shit but it's my shit. Wanna buy?"

The possibilities of the new technology to make available downloads of anyone's music for a reasonable price (on both sides: artists and consumers) is extremely exciting. If I was in a band now, I'd make a web site and start putting live shows and recordings on their NOW....for download. Get your music
OUT THERE!!!!

A guide to Jandek web site.
***

I have just put on The Cosmic Jokers: Cosmic Jokers (1974) and I love this shit!! It's some of the Ash Ra Tempel guys, and a couple of guys from a group I've never heard of: Wallenstein. I must look into this Wallenstein. And a record producer [Aside: Dieter Dierks - who ended up working with The Scorpions of all bands! And Accept! After working with Ash Ra, Nektar and Tangerine Dream!!! Weird]. They all got together at the behest of another producer who paid the musicians a small fee and all the acid they wanted. Then they recorded the sessions and released 5 Cosmic Jokers albums in 1974. Brilliant!!!!

Acid
Rock
Rules

***

Ow! I was just playing with the dog and she's got some motherfucking nails!!! Gotta clip those bastards!
***
Listen to the bird and...listen!
Picked up a bunch of cds from Steve's Private Rock Your World. He's supplying my prog need. New prog, of which I'm quite unfamiliar. So, that's cool. Some Marillion, Tangent, Pallas, Tull boots, pre-Blue Oyster Cult (psychedelic stuff - early BOC were great so this should be fun) and Hunter-Ronson-Clapton's "Secret Sessions" from 1978. That should be fun!
***

I was listening to "What's This Called?" with dj Ricardo Wang on KPSU (Portland State University) and this wild music came on...
clanking and banging
steel sheets of metal
clanging in some unholy noise...
but
it grew
developed
hypnotized me...
it was holy noise!
beautiful...serene

Ricardo informed us it was JOHN CAGE!! Obviously I've heard of him...but not heard him...hahahahaha...anyway 4 minutes 33 seconds later and I am looking forward to hearing more of Cage's recorded works.

Check out Ricardo's show available for your listening pleasure online and well worth it if you're looking for really "out there" shit!
***

"Listen Bird" courtesy of Cassandra's Eye. We can all learn from the bird.
***

No comments: