Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Psychic Ills drugs and headphones & guilty pleasures admitted

I swear to God the Psychic Ills are in some sort of liquid form! Or is it the liquid I drank?
Psychic Ills: Dins (2006) **** When I listen to music like this, I sometimes find it incredible that I don't have proper headphones!? This music was made for fucking headphones.

Shut the world out
let it float
let it move
let it breathe
take you away

This is the kind of music drugs were made for! Drugs and Headphones.

getting stoned...alone...drugs and headphones

[Aside: After a couple of weeks with this shitty new dvd/cd player I picked up for $30, I've had enough. I'm really getting into this song that's playing now, but I can't tell you which one it is...and there's a clicking noise you notice when the music becomes quiet. At first I was thinking: "Um. I didn't know we had a clock in the computer room. Oh. We don't." This weekend it's time to splurge and get something decent!]

Anyway...this song is fucking awesome...dramatic and intense with a great buildup. I hear some Jesus and Mary Chain influences...some Spaceman 3...Velvets, of course....all great stuff.

These guys are worth checking out. I couldn't find much on the net...surprisingly! Here's the Psychic Ills Social Registry! They're touring and played my old area of Toronto a couple of weeks ago. Here's a live review of Psychic Ills from December 2005.
***

Harvey Dog believes in being open and honest.

With that out of the way...it's time to open up the embarrassing vaults of my music obsessions and supply what some would call, "Guilty Pleasures".

It's good to cleanse...
to come clean, to open up,
admit the guilty pleasures
it'll make you feel good...


We all have 'em, so here are mine followed by excuses, reasons, defenses.
***
GUILTY PLEASURES
Lynyrd Skynyrd's starting line-up
Lynyrd Skynyrd (pre-plane crash): The southern rock kings. I have a couple of video clips of them doing 12-15 minute versions of "Free Bird" (one at some US rock festival taped from tv, and "The Old Grey Whistle" dvd) and they are awesome. The guitar players go nuts and the soloing never stops!!! The only problem with "Free Bird" is that it was overplayed. Now, with some distance, it can be enjoyed again in all it's cliche glory! Is this even a guilty pleasure?

Kansas: I'm more of a fan of their early "over-the-top" prog stuff as opposed to their more "poppy" stuff - I was never a fan of "Dust in the Wind", but "Death of Mother Nature Suite" is another story. I still really enjoy listening to cd 1 of the 2 cd "Box Set". [Aside: How can 2 cds be considered a box set??? Gotta be at least 3 cds to be considered a box set.] Guru T-Lu says these guys are definitely "a guilty pleasure", but then again...she's a girl. Kansas are a guy's band.

Chicago: Another geographical band name...and we haven't got to Foreigner yet!!! Hahahaha. Anyway, I don't think early Chicago is a guilty pleasure, but the rep they've developed with one or ten too many Peter Cetera ballads (that were MASSIVE hits) isn't really fair. I have their box set "Group Portrait" (4 cds for $40...not bad) and the first 2 cds are fantastic, the 1st itself is *****, the 2nd **** then *** then **....you get the picture? Deterioration baby...but not sales-wise. Go figure. Do yourself a favor. Get their 1st cd.

John Denver: I actually have a couple of John Denver cds (got them cheap). I find 1/2 his stuff is very high quality "nice" pop/folk, and the other half is...well, you could say, somewhat...sappy? Would that be the right word? You get the feeling that John would get stoned and then break into tears talking about the love he felt for his family...I mean, that's beautiful and all, but sheesh...that's a good way to kill a buzz.
Hi gang! I'm John, your new camp counsellor!!
[Aside: Guru T-Lu has a theory that when you hear of rock stars crashing
their cars
their planes
their trains
and dying, that it is most likely a suicide. Let's see there's Harry Chapin (depressed..car crash...did he brake?), John Denver (also depressed who crashed his experimental home-made aircraft!?!?) [2nd Aside: Guru T-Lu just read this and said to add Marc Bolan. She called him the leader of the pack! Then she told me to take this off, but I'm ignoring her!] and so many others.

There you go...an exclusive Guru T-Lu theory.]


Electric Light Orchestra: Jeff Lynne strikes me as one of the most uncharismatic frontmen ever in rock music. I guess that's why they put the orchestra in their name, cause they weren't cool enough to be rock stars. Wait! Roy Wood was cool and charismatic...at least bizarre, but he left after the first album. I'm not a huge fan, but I have to admit I...without any social or moral pressures...ordered "Afterglow" from Columbia House (hey! it was only $19.99 for 3 cds! Canadian!) and have no regrets.

K.C. & the Sunshine Band: Seriously. These guys had some pretty funky hard dance numbers. I have the "Best Of" (I'm not actively pursuing more than that) and "Get Down Tonight", "I'm Your Boogie Man", "Shake Your Booty" and "That's the Way (I Like It)" are classic. Get your funky shoes on and DANCE MOTHERFUCKER!!!

The Monkees: With everything being ironic now, this can't be considered a "guilty pleasure", but there was a time when I was a fan, and it WAS a "guilty pleasure". The best pop money can buy.

John Mellancamp:
Hey...you can pick up his cds at a pawn shop near you for a low low price! Wherever you live!
***

I am not ashamed.
I am not ashamed.
I am not ashamed.
There is no reason to be ashamed.
***

I am NOT the only one!
I am NOT the only one!
I am NOT the only one!
There is no reason to think I am the only one.
***

No comments: