Friday, March 31, 2006

Guess Who? No...really! Death of Music? Tago Mago lives!!

Burton...beer and acid don't mix!
OK...For some reason I put on The Guess Who's: Wheatfield Soul (1968) / Artificial Paradise (1973), starting with Wheatfield and I'm quite enjoying the music and the singing...but...
if the lyrics reflect Burton Cummings' acid trips

are they the most arrogant acid trips
in the history of civilization?

Being born in Canada and raised Roman Catholic, I had no choice but to have The Guess Who as one of my favs in grade school. I mean, man...it was the early 70s! I continue to enjoy The Guess Who to this day. However, I have to admit that Burton Cummings does seem like a bit of an ass.

Oh man...are they ever ripping off Hendrix at the beginning of "We're Coming to Dinner"...I think dinner is at 6 if it were 9. Burton Cummings is like your local acid lounge singer. I don't even know how to rate Wheatfield Soul. I mean do you add a star for the lyrics or take off a star? Hard call.

And I love this stuff!!!

Artificial Paradise song by song 1 word comments:
"Bye Bye Babe": rockin'
"Samantha's Living Room": awesome
"Rock and Roller Steam": Kurt!!!
"Follow Your Daughter Home": ridiculous
"Those Show Biz Shoes": goil?
"All Hashed Out": FUCK!!!!
"Orly": catchy
"Lost and Found Town": forgettable
"Hamba Gahle-Usalang Gahle": pardon?
"The Watcher": ok

Guess Who? It's (for) you!


All Hashed Out: Guess Who web site.
Guess Who web page.
Randy Bachman's official web site.
***

Who Are The Drain Police?

Punk was actually the last remnants of the "hippie" era.
Really?
It was about change baby!
Hippies wanted to change from within
Punks wanted to change it
by obliteration
and dancing on its ashes
and let the new "society"
emerge like a phoenix

grunge had no chance
"society" built a powerful
firewall...
took advantage of
grunges addictions
and snuffed it
with D E A T H

***

damo getting a tan Can's "Tago Mago" (1971) ***** is awesome!!! Such an obvious 5 star record. It wraps you in and has some absolute classics. "Mushroom" and "Halleluhwah" are my favs. I even think it's great when it gets weird(er) near the end of the album. Actually makes it greater. Takes it to a higher plane.

Maybe? Damo's definitely awesome, and the band

can move you
rock you
rattle you
soothe you

puzzle baffle
take you on a trip

awesome shit.
***

No comments: