Monday, March 03, 2008

Guilty Pleasure: Bad Company - Not-so-guilty Pleasure: Comets on Fire!!!

sigh...how can I possibly like these guys?
OK...

No one with any musical taste is supposed to like Bad Company. I mean, they are commercial, lameass, politically incorrect, and sold far too many records.

But...

I enjoy listening to them. On my drive back from Masset today (100 km drive), I had my mp3 player tucked into my ears, and for some reason [aside: it never makes sense...it just happens], I had Bad Company's Anthology (1999) disc 2 on - their latter, weaker material on it. And while I was driving I was getting off on the simple guitar riffs done oh so clean by Mick Ralphs...the tight rhythm section...and Paul Rodgers more macho than macho vocal stylings...I even like the 4 new songs!!! The lyrics? Fucking ridiculous. Absolutely nonsensical...no deep meanings here. In fact, when you listen, they can piss you off! Yet, somehow this is part of the charm. You can turn off your brain and just let loose on the solid hard rock done by true pros. Get your jones off as they (aside: I'm not sure who "they" are, but never mind) used to say in dem old days - of the 70s.

Let's face it...

What a pedigree! Mott the Hoople, Free and King Crimson! It's cool to like any of these bands - in fact, Mott are one of my all-time favs! And I say that proudly and without hesitation!!!

Bad Company were like modern day rock'n'roll cowboys coming to your town, fucking your sluts, cranking up the volume then moving on to the next town...and then writing about it!

What a fucking guilty pleasure!! Ssssssshhhhhhh...don't tell anyone! Feel even more guilty by wasting some internet time on them - Bad Company home page.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Comets on Fire: Avatar (2006) I need to purify my soul, so I'll mention how much I enjoy this album by the critically lauded Comets on Fire. It's OK to like them. They're cool...much cooler than Bad Company!!!! [aside: I really loved the last 2 songs, especially "Hatched Upon the Age" - great stuff.]
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Driving long distances is almost enjoyable...now that I have my mp3 player!!!
((((((())()())()()()(----

Here's a picture of my dog, poobah, for no particular reason:


ahhh, isn't she fucking adorable? @@@@@@@@@@@@@

And if you don't like Bad Company - well, fuck you man!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: