Sunday, March 02, 2008

Random Musical Thoughts from Random City!!!!

Random Music Thoughts

Listening to Teenage Head (1971) by The Flamin' Groovies started making me see why so many alt crits dig these guys. Good shit....the title track, "Whiskey Woman" and rockin' covers of old chestnuts were my particular favs.

Bear Mountain Band: One Fine Day (also 1971) Found this obscurity and really loved it. Heavy psych hard rockin away into catchy little ditties. Found it on the blog
Black Acid which is an awesome place to find some rare psych kraut and other strange obscurities.

The Groundhogs were a pretty rockin' band...heard the boot Split Shadows from 1972 and loved it.


The Legendary Pink Dots "Maria Dimension" (1991) is an excellent album. Would his voice become too samey after a bit? Great music, neat lyrics...I'll definitely check out more of these guys.

What drugs is Devendra Banhart on? I like him.

Rufus Harley was quite unique...I mean...bagpipes in jazz?!?! Yep, bagpipes in jazz, and they sound right at home in jazz's smokey surroundings.

I'm reading Lester Bang's post mortem collection: "Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung" and am enjoying it. He was good. The only complaint I have is he occassionally becomes too circular in his writing. Probably from the drugs...which I wish I had right now...* sigh *

Listened to The Silver Apples: Silver Apples (1968) and Contact (1969) and it reminded how much I like these guys, and how ahead of their time they really were.

Cate Blanchett doing Dylan's amphetamine 1965-1966 period from "I'm Not There" was pretty awesome. She's quite an incredible actor...the fact that she's a woman doing Dylan, had no bearing whatsoever. Did she win an oscar? Who cares...the movie looks like it could be interesting. I'll go in not taking it as a literal bio (we got "No Direction Home" for that!) but as an interpretation. Official movie web site. Here's a 7 1/2 minute clip from the movie. thanks Matthewmooremusic!


%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

No comments: