Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Data Sets are more exciting than Ron Sexsmith, and top 10 lists are forthcoming

What???? Me? Make fun of Ron Sexsmith?? No fucking way!
As I struggle with these 2 words floating in my empty sky brain..."data sets" "data sets" "data sets" "data sets" "data sets" "data sets" "data sets" "data sets"...
and work becomes a struggle and little progress seems to be made. What does one do? I guess bitch about in a blog. It seems like it should be simple but simple is as never simple as simple seems to be.

So what will Harvey Dog's Carnival of Music Thoughts discuss today? Don't ask me, I don't know.
***

Let's start with a preliminary. Out of respect to High Fidelity, I will compile lists. Now lists are fun, lists are stupid, lists are opinions, lists are meaningless. "Data Lists" "Data Lists" "Data Lists" "Data Lists"....STOP IT!!!

Sorry. Just a little programming madness going on. Nothing to be alarmed about. * cough *

Yes. Lists. One I'm working on is "Top 10 favorite rock stars to make fun of". Now, of course, this is totally subjective. Which are the best kinds of lists. Here's some suggestions for consideration.

Lou Reed: There's something about Lou. He takes himself so seriously and is such an asshole, yet, he's brilliant....so, you make fun of him.

Paul Simon: I mean, do I have to say more. Even though his Saturday Night skit where he sings "Still Crazy After All These Years" in a turkey (hahaha...you should make fun of me! I wrote chicken outfit first) outfit was hilarious.

Paul McCartney: He is such an ass.

Ron Sexsmith: Guru T-Lu actually knows Ron Sexsmith! Apparently, at parties he'd whip out hi...zzzzzzz....zzz.z.z..z.zzzzzzzzz....what? Oh. Um. That's what happens when someone mentions Ron Sexsmith I start to fa...zzzzzz.z.zzzzzz

Laurie Anderson: She and Lou make a great "fun" couple.

Glass Tiger: My friend JK and I drunkenly accosted Allan Frew of Glass Tiger at the Downstairs John at McMaster University: Hamilton, ON. We had talked to him before he went on, and he mentioned how much he liked Iggy Pop and all the hi-energy punk guys. We thought...alright. this could be good. Well, after their 2 sets of pablum finished, we drunkenly followed him out of the bar, all the while berating him with being a fake..."How could you play such shit and like punk...you're a fake!! A fake! A sell out!!". Well, we were drunken assholes and yes, he was a sell out, but then again, who made a living playing music? And why didn't we just leave and go to the Rathskellar? Doesn't mean I can't make fun of him, right?

Our Lady Peace guy and his chick Chantel Whatever: I hate making fun of all these Canadian acts.

Oh yeh, here's some other possible candidates. Aerosmith. I mean, like, what's up with these guys anyway? Joan Baez: Well, after watching how sensible she was in No Direction Home I think she's off the list now. But, there used to be a day...David Bowie, of course. Graham Nash. David Crosby. Phil Collins (if he wasn't so boring...at least in public. I'm sure he's a riot out of the spotlight). Oh my God...Guns'n' fucking Roses obviously. Basically, Axl. Elton, God bless him. John Lydon.

The list keeps growing. Any other ideas?
Here's a great rock list web site. RockList.net
***

Little Feat: "Feats Don't Fail Me Now" (1974) *** These guys are really good. Really tight, soulful, funky. I think "Sailin' Shoes" is better. Do you smell the heroin? I thought so. Little Feat's official web site.
***

No comments: