Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Talking Heads and Dream Syndicate accost the Buddah

What? Like we didn't already know that? Picture by Cassandra's Eye
Harvey Dog has sad news to report. Prince George's own Rock Your World may be closing. I include the "maybe" since Steve isn't giving up. Just ain't making enough cash man. That would be a very sad day indeed. Keep positive thoughts...
***

Talking Heads: More Songs about Buildings and Food (1978) ****1/2 I loved this album when I originally got it, probably round 1980. I just bought it again at our beloved Rock Your World.... * time out! *

sob sob whimper * cough *

OK OK, I'm fine now. Sorry bout that. Anyway. I still love it. It's one of those classics where every song is, at the very least, incredibly entertaining.

I saw them in Toronto at Kingswood on the "Speaking in Tongues" tour. It was that tour where David Byrne starts out alone on stage with an acoustic guitar, then he turns on a boom box and plays Psycho Killer. It caught people off guard. All of a sudden someone is standing there. No fanfare. Super shit hot opening. Then Tina, then Jerry, then Chris, then I believe Adrian and Darryl and ?? Bernie Worrell??? I think so. Gotta look this up. One of my fav concerts ever. I didn't fuck up or anything either!!

Question: Did every male Talking Heads fan have a crush on Tina Weymouth? The ladies as well? Best Talking Heads web site.
***

Dream Syndicate: Days of Wine and Roses (1982) **** Here's a group definitely worth getting hearing. I also have one Steve Wynn solo and heard a couple of songs from recent albums, and they're great too. This is their first. Medicine Show (1984) was even better. Check out "State Trooper" from an Uncut cd of the Boss' songs or influences, something like that. Who cares? It's only the fucking Boss. Other people, especially Manfred Mann's Earth Band, do his songs better.

Gotta get that Live at Raji's. I heard one song ("Medicine Show") and it rocked like a motherfucker.
Steve Wynn's official web site.
***

Buddah Blessings

Some days
I feel
like an island

drowning
in self-awareness

crippled by weaknesses

drunk on adrenalin
confused
by passages of time

and the
peace

of the buddah
***

Guru T-Lu wasn't crazy about that "drunk on adrenalin" line. Ummm. It's the best I can think of for now.
***

Should I dare buy Jandek? I guess I have no choice with all the controversy on e-mole@yahoogroups.ca.
***

No comments: