Sunday, December 11, 2005

Love Your Family/ Philip Glass and Ravi Shankar/ Don't piss off Frank Sinatra!

Taken by Cassandra's Eye (link to right) in Prince George, BC. I hope it's opium!
The Streetwalkers: Downtown Flyers (1975) **** OK. Let's get to the bottom of this. I am a huge fan of Family, Streetwalkers, Roger Chapman.

Listening to this on lp. I love that I have a turntable once again. After years of listening to cds, it can be quite startling to find that the music has finished!

They rock, they use progressive elements (but not too much), lots of dynamics, Roger Chapman's singing is intense and wild, the musicianship is top notch, the writing is solid. They deserve to be way more highly regarded. They aren't even listed in a massive AMG book I have from 2003! Check out these web sites!
Roger Chapman: official appreciation society. Great site and "Chappo" even answers questions from fans. Similar to Ian Hunter. I like that these guys take time out to show appreciation for their fans. It's reciprocal! Strange Band: The Family Home Page, for lots of goodies. I found 3 old videos of Family playing live on tv, and they were awesome live! That's the only thing I'm missing...Live Family. Gotta place the order, even though they're pretty pricey.

Stop it! I'm rambling! Give these guys a listen to and see what you think. This Streetwalkers album is really great, so if you already know of Family and like them...now it's time to get into The Streetwalkers. Now I need to get some solo Roger Chapman stuff.

***

I love that song "Don't Become the Thing You Hated" by Destroyer. Especially from the "Frogs Eye Sessions" ep. * words of wisdom Llyod words of wisdom *.
***

Guru T-Lu suggested Jesus and Mary Chain's "Head On" as a candidate for "Top 10 songs to wake up to".
***

I woke up next to the corpse of Lester Bangs.
He liked cough syrup, I like cherry Scope.
I never met Lux Interior from The Cramps
I'm sure Lester and Lux shared some dope.

And then I went running through the house screaming: "Funk funk baby we need more funk" repeated endlessly....
***

After hearing amazing Meters and Art Neville songs on Uncut's "Funk Soul Brothers", I knew it was time to put on the Soul Jazz comp "New Orleans Funk" 1960-1975 (2000) which I haven't listened to yet. Band to investigate: The Meters. This is a great cd! Sounds like an easy **** to me.
***

Philip Glass & Ravi Shankar: Passages (1990) ****1/2 Deep and beautiful music. Philip Glass official web site. Ravi Shankar official web site.
***

Time to experiment. Put on Frank Sinatra's "Greatest Love Songs". Released in 2002 Recorded 1953-1966. Wasn't Frank Sinatra a bullying, murdering, gambling, alcoholic? I'm certainly not saying he was, but I thought I may have heard that rumour. Now, onto the tuneage.

I know the lyrics are written by geniuses and all that crap, but aren't the lyrics just somewhat corny? I know I have no taste and blah blah blah...but to prove I do, I do like "Candy Man" by Sammy Davis Jr. and "Detroit City" by Dean Martin. And "Fly Me to the Moon" is pretty cool. I like Sid Vicious' version of "My Way" best of all.

We've reached song 11 and I guess there is a certain flow to it. It certainly doesn't deviate much. Is this ambient music?

Wow! "My Heart Stood Still" was pretty fucking majestic! "Night and Day" is creepy. In fact, a number of the lyrics are pretty creepy....

Frank Sinatra as the Devil Outside the Front Door

outside the door...a scratch
a knock??
is it Frank?
back from the dead
knock knock
the hand of a ghost
let him in!
don't let him in!!!!!

I don't understand???

diablo! diablo! frank!???
***

No comments: