Friday, December 02, 2005

Guru T-Lu slags Steve Earle, Lou Reed debauchery stories upcoming: here's a preview, Sly's amazing crackpipe

I'm thinking of Captain Beefheart again today.
Guru T-Lu on Steve Earle who's "The Revolution Starts Now" is playing. "Who's singing here?" "Steve Earle" "I don't like him. He's so fey. He sounds like Blur or something." "I thought you liked Blur." "I do. It's ok for Blur to be Blur. But not Steve fucking Earle."

After that exchange I am unable to rate this album.
***

Upcoming: Lou Reed has a definite effect on my behaviour. I've seen him 4 times, and except for one time (his most bland album & tour: "Mistrial") I have behaved, shall we say, questionably. It's why I've always had trouble with the brilliant "New York" album. And the "Ecstasy" tour I saw with Guru T-Lu contributed to my eventually quitting drinking. Thanks Lou!
***

Sly and the Family Stone: "The Essential Sly and the Family Stone" 1967-1975 (2002) ***** There's so much amazing music on this collection, how could it not merit a 5. I guess you should still get "There's A Riot Going On" & "Stand" since they're supposed to be more album, than single, oriented. I have neither, so i'll give this a 5 and maybe re-adjust when I acquire those 2 albums. Then again. Who fucking cares? Sly & the Family Stone's official web site.

I can remember almost buying "There's a Riot Goin' On." It had the cover with the american flag, and I had it in my hand for quite awhile. I took something else instead, and I now regret that fatal decision. It was at Sam the Record Man in Hamilton, Ontario. Oh God...15 years ago? I'm pretty sure I also held Moby Grape's 2 cd "Great Grape" in my hand at the same time and put that one back as well. What an amazingly difficult day that was! I must have been hungover. And why do I remember so much fucking detail?! How pathetic am I??????

That's it...this section is now done! I'm too upset!!!!!
***

Black Mountain: Black Mountain (2005) Vancouver's own. The province I live in. 2nd song in, and they've won me over This great!

Catchy as hell...and all that. I would say I'm a fan. I'll listen to it a couple of more times before the lameass rating.
Here's their site, which also includes info about Pink Mountaintops. Black Mountain web site.
***

No comments: