Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Hunter Rocks! Hunter Rocks! Hunter Rocks! Hated Uncles what?

Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson 1990 from Ian's offical web site. link in blog
Ian Hunter: Welcome to the Club (1980) **** This is a classic live album. Mick Ronson on guitar. Ian's in great voice. Enthusiastic crowd.

(Aside: Now, I don't really mind Phish, but I find that their stupid arrogant crowd ruins the live cds. I'm a big fan of Widespread Panic, and they suffer from the same problem. These crowds are there for themselves, not the motherfucking band! Rant over.)

Thanks Rant guy. Hey, Rant is the name of an Ian Hunter album! Nice segue.

I actually stood a few feet away from both Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson once. I saw them in Hamilton, Ontario around 1990 (YUI Orta tour) at an old strip club called Bannister's.

They came on and sounded amazing!!!! I was plastered and hammered and was the first one up on the dance floor. I couldn't believe it! Fucking Ian Hunter from Mott the Fucking Hoople and Mick Ronson ex- Spider from Mars...I mean, what the fuck??? It was like a crowd of maybe 75 people. And they're sitting there on their asses?! It's a rock'n'roll show Jim! Sad sad sad.

I had an amazing time! Sweaty, wasted and plastered and more people did eventually join me on the dance floor. About time assholes!

I get excited talking about Ian Hunter and Mott the Hoople so I use a lot of !!!!!

Great time was had by one and all. The band were so tight and it was a puzzle why they were playing there???? Bannister's? A fucking cheap strip club. I mean we are talking about Hamilton. It ain't no St. Catherines. hahahaha. Or Burlington.

Did I mention that The Hated Uncles played at Bannisters...twice? And one time we got written up in the local paper? When I locate the article that will be another Hated Uncles story. The other show I actually have on cassette, and it was done one week after our drummer quit, so we wrote all new material, including all new lyrics by Harvey Dog in a crazy drunken, still working full-time, week of chaos. The show turned out to be very unique and I'm quite proud of it. Tim Gibbons from Trouble Boys fame liked it. So there. I also remember that they had a basement and at that time it was still a ripper bar. Of course, that was our pre-gig meeting place.

So, anyhow, after the show I was wandering around and passed the dressing room and there's Ian and Mick standing there smoking and talking and I was hammered man! too drunk too drunk and i could feel my mood...darkening...don't ruin it Harv don't ruin a great night, for once just fucking leave...

I stood there for a second and before they spotted me I moved on out of there. I say it was out of respect. Ian Hunter was never in Glass Tiger or Honeymoon Suite!
Ian Hunter's official web site. Great site and Ian writes for it!! I love that.
***

2 comments:

steven edward streight said...

We need to fix up The Hated Uncles with the Red Aunts and see what kind of zombie-babies they'd produce.

Love that name. Mick Ronson? Of David Bowie tour fame in the glittery 70s?

Harvey Dog said...

Oh Lord!! If The Hated Uncles met up with The Red Aunts, they would kick our asses and we'd becme the zombie-babies!

Yep. The one and only Mick Ronson from David Bowie & The Spiders from Mars. Apparently, a very generous and giving person who helped make both David Bowie and Ian Hunter better.